Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Need some advice

As a previous home remodeling contractor, and being exposed to the trades, I may come off a tad bit jaded, but I feel justifiably so.
    Anyway, I recently got married (at 57), and 'inhereted' the issues of my new wifes home she has had for over 30 years.
    The furnace is 1973 version, the AC is 19 years old.
    Both work, but not very efficient.
    Anyway, trying to be as frugal as possible, put in the most efficient system, most trouble free, etc., she contacted her contractor of last 20 years for an estimate.
    We have a 1 story ranch, probably 1500 sq. ft +, (additions jutting off the back, etc.), and the existing AC compressor is 2-1/2 tons. It was there before the additions. Needs to be 3 ton now, so I'm told, and I'd assume because of it being on all the time to keep it cool.
    Certain days, it works nice, other days, stays on 24 x 7 to fight to keep the temp at 74-75 degrees.
    I replace various parts on the furnace last year, but simple cut and dry, it's time to replace.
    The contractor suggested a Carrier unit. I was kinda set on a 2 stage unit, he told me Carrier only made 3 ton and up (2 stage). I called Carrier, they tell me they carry 2, 3 , 4 & 5 ton units in the Infinity line. He suggested a 3 ton comfort series, no 2 stage.

So, because he lied, should I confront him?

Also, I want top shelf performance, efficient heating and cooling, low energy costs, etc. Am I foolish to go with the Carrier, or the 2 stage unit? What are my other options to be correct in choosing the proper unit?

Should I consider a heat pump?

Also, he wants an additional XXXXX to install the air handler in the attic (all the air vents are forced air onthe floor now).

Please...HELP! What to do.
    Last edited by ARPA; 06-18-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Carrier might make those units but ,they might not be available in your area. Could be a special order,I don't know. Edit out the price ,or someone else will.

Wink Follow-up

Available in my area? I think that is a bunch of bull. IF I called Carrier, and they tell me I can get in my area, then as far as I'm concerned, it's about the dealer wanting to move HIS inventory, and not accommodate the consumer.

Irregardless, it's not about all that, that was a statement, of sorts, and the bulk of my inquiry was as stated in the original question.

Protecting other dealers may be your "professional" duty (as a 'Professional' member), but screwing the consumer leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Remember, I dealt with "the trades" for close to 20 years, I "know" how the 'system' works.

I'm still looking here within these walls of this forum for advice, opinions and direction, not your supposedly/seemingly cover you buddy's butt answer.

As far as the $$ goes, wasn't my intention to post dollar amounts, have someone edit it out.....but for future reference, if I wanted to make that very same example, showing the difference in cost between X and Y, how then do you suggest it be posted here to meet the 'rules' then?

Good Luck. You have a very sour attitude,you won't even get "professional" insult from me .

But Twilli is open to professional insults
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    But Twilli is open to professional insults
    OK .Let me think on it for a while.Get back to you later. In the pro section.

If you want 2-stage and he will not offer it I would just call someone else. Lennox, Trane and other brands offer 2-stage equipment. As far as the Carrier is concerned he may have a hard time on the 2 ton size. I have experienced delays in getting certain sizes of equipment. It should not be important though because you stated you needed a 3 ton which it sounds like he said he could get 3 ton and up. Just remember that 2 -stage equipment is the top of the line and the price normally shows it.

You want top shelf performance, but want to be frugal...

Then you come on here and bust on members of this forum...

and..
    As far as the $$ goes, wasn't my intention to post dollar amounts, have someone edit it out.....but for future reference, if I wanted to make that very same example, showing the difference in cost between X and Y, how then do you suggest it be posted here to meet the 'rules' then?

You can't. That is not what this forum is about.

Coleman 2stage
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Coleman 2stage
    Naaaaaaa, ya gotta change the mantels in those twice a year!

he was the crook thats why he is as he stated "previous home remodeling contractor". He says he knows the system and how it works. He means his system of how it worked. Not everyone is dishonest like you my friend. Good luck and I feel sorry for the next a/c contractor that has to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by guruuno View Post

Protecting other dealers may be your "professional" duty (as a 'Professional' member), but screwing the consumer leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Remember, I dealt with "the trades" for close to 20 years, I "know" how the 'system' works.

I'm still looking here within these walls of this forum for advice, opinions and direction, not your supposedly/seemingly cover you buddy's butt answer.
    Why do you assume that? These guys have no "professional duty to protect other dealers", there's no "conspiracy" going on here or a need to cover anyone else's butt. You come asking for advice yet you treat these pros disrespectfully. Good luck getting good advice.

There is a wealth of information here. Do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by guruuno View Post

Great...ive been in hvac for 8 years now and no one told me there was a "system" I feel so left out...

Grurrno, you would be suprised at how many carrier dealers are not familiar with the entire carrier line and what is available. I went on a sales call for a package unit and had the same thing happen to me. I honestly didnt know that the unit the customer wanted was available. And i really felt dumb that i didnt know. But the area im in does very little with package units. Could have been an honest mistake. My advice would be to try and have better communication with the contractor and not assume that he is trying to stick you. It is hard to know every unit and every option in every size that a manufacturer offers. Even worse if the dealer/contractor offer more than one brand of equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast