Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unethical repairman?

Post Likes

unethical repairman?

I am new to this forumn and by no means an expert in hvac. My conversations with the local "pro's" have left me confused and possibly baffled by B.S. Here is my situation. I have an Armstrong 2 1/2 ton, 10 seer heat pump (model # SHP10a30a-1b) that was installed new in '96. The windings in the compressor shorted out causing the breaker to trip and hince no more cool air. I live in south central Kansas by the way. A local "pro" wants to replace the outside unit with a Weatherking 2 1/2 ton, 13 seer unit (model # 13PJA30a01). I stressed the importance of the inside and outside units needing to be matched, and I was told that they would be. I didn't think it was possible to mix the seer ratings like this. Wouldn't that leave an undersized coil and lineset? I tried to contact Weatherking on the internet, but you have to be a distributer. The manufacturers warranty says 5 year limited, the "pro" says 1 year. In addition, the manufacturers warranty is VOID if the system is not matched properly or meet certain specifications. Unfortunately money is a big issue right now as I am trying to recover from a major back surgery. However, I do not want to throw money away on a "guesswork" system that will end up costing me a great deal more in the long run with multiple service calls and repair bills.
    Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated!

thanx,

Post Likes
    Sounds like you are more informed than your "pro".

Anyway to replace just the compressor, and not the whole condenser?

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Sounds like you are more informed than your "pro".

Anyway to replace just the compressor, and not the whole condenser?

Good luck.

Replace compressor in an existing condenser thats suffered a burnout? that could be one of those good ideas that turns into a bad idea.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Seems as if you're relying heavily on this one person's opinion of your system. Get at least two or three more separate bids and consider each before you make a decision.

Post Likes
    Get other contractor to give estimate.
    You want a matching system.
    I know you like this guys cheap price. But forget it, it will cost you more in the long run.

Post Likes
    In the original post I was just guessing. thanx for verification. I live pretty far away from a major town (50+ miles). Honestly I didn't want to waste anyone's time and money to drive out and give bids with gas prices what they are. What would happen to the mis-matched system? Would the undersized coil and lineset be a big issue? Would the compressor burn up or leak from to high of pressure? Would the inside unit now be damaged somehow? Would the system be overworked? Would the heat Pump work perfectly for a hundred years? Would it work just long enough for the check to clear the bank?
    thanx again people!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jellin View Post
    I live pretty far away from a major town (50+ miles). Honestly I didn't want to waste anyone's time and money to drive out and give bids with gas prices what they are.
    - Your current system needs to be inspected for a proper bid to be prepared. Don't worry about gas prices. You need more quotes.

What would happen to the mis-matched system? Would the undersized coil and lineset be a big issue? Would the compressor burn up or leak from to high of pressure? Would the inside unit now be damaged somehow? Would the system be overworked?
    - You would get less than the original SEER and the original btu capacity. Heat pumps need a matching coil.
    - Yes
    - Yes, possibly (from refrigerant over-charge)
    - Probably not
    - Yes, overworked and inefficient.

Would the heat Pump work perfectly for a hundred years?
    - NFW. A few years.

Would it work just long enough for the check to clear the bank?
    - Not good if it did. As you stated, the condenser warranty will be void if installed in a mis-match.

From your original post, it sounds like you know what you need. Get 'er done.

Post Likes
    Twilli says thats no pro, thats a hacker
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says thats no pro, thats a hacker
    Twilli used to be a hacker. Now Twilli a pro.

Post Likes
    It will cool, but not as good as it should, it may lock out the in heat mode, or cost you more to heat your house then the 10 SEER did.
    You won't have a warranty on the compressor.

But you will know the guy that installed it by sight from 100 yards away, and think he is a member of your family.

Post Likes
    He probaly meant 1 Yr "waranty" for installation of that unit , 5 Yrs on the whole condenser .............
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Post Likes
    13PJA
    Limited Parts Warranty Information
    Item Warranty Length
    Compressor 5 years
    Condenser Coil Leaks Caused
    by factory defects 5 years
    Any Other Part 5 years
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Post Likes
    Those are limited part warranties. You still have to pay labor.
    Refrigerant if its needed, and coincidental parts.

Post Likes
    Lemme give my opinion....It's a 12 year old system, for a heat pump, it's past it's useful life or "wore out". Replace both indoor and outdoor unit. If money IS a problem, you can replace the compressor for a quick fix, just make sure the installer removes the indoor & outdoor piston and flushes the system out and makes sure that the "little hole" inside the piston is clear, (assuming it's a piston and not TXV) as well as check both coils for cleanliness, then install a suction line drier in the suction line just before it goes into the compressor. Just my 2 cents.

Post Likes
    You can install the new condenser (outside) with the older air handler (inside) and it will work to some degree. You won't be getting the full efficiency, but it will cool. It is preferable to put in a matched system, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money, what can you do? I wouldn't consider replacing just the compressor. It's too old to waste your money. It will be close to replacing the entire condenser in cost and the warranty will be 1 year. The only way anybody will know about the conditions of the setup for the warranty is if your contractor "rats" you out. Nobody will come out to inspect the setup from Ruud. If he will do that, then dump his arse, he's a POS. I would do as much as you can afford right now, save up and finish it within a reasonable amount of time and you should be fine.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You can install the new condenser (outside) with the older air handler (inside) and it will work to some degree. You won't be getting the full efficiency, but it will cool. It is preferable to put in a matched system, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money, what can you do? I wouldn't consider replacing just the compressor. It's too old to waste your money. It will be close to replacing the entire condenser in cost and the warranty will be 1 year. The only way anybody will know about the conditions of the setup for the warranty is if your contractor "rats" you out. Nobody will come out to inspect the setup from Ruud. If he will do that, then dump his arse, he's a POS. I would do as much as you can afford right now, save up and finish it within a reasonable amount of time and you should be fine.

do you know what's gonna happen when he goes to use the heat the first time in winter!

Post Likes
    Since its a heat pump. Read this before mismatching.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    seer isnt your main concern it realy comes down to coil surface
    is the indoor coil big enough or have enough surface to handle the ouside unit in heating mode. This is why matching the coils is so very important when it is a heat pump.

yes if the coil isnt matched it can burn out the compressor
    yes you will have problems and spend a lot more
    yes the guy is foolish to even think it can work without any technical data on your indoor unit

yes it most likely will cost more to operate heating and cooling

I have seen it many times when people add a new condenser heat pump outside and not inside and then want to know what room should they give up for the tech to sleep in because he is always there

replace it all and have a match system for and comfort for many years and with best operating costs

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Correct on RUUD not comming out to inspect......but, after the compressor in the replacement weatherking unit fails through the first winter because of the mismatch, When the service man fills out the Rheem/RUUD warrenty claim form for a compressor, What will he put down on the line asking for the model and serial of the "matched" indoor unit, knowing it is not matched? I used to put in lots of Rheem/RUUD and Weatherking, and belive me, they are going to check all of the info on that sheet, and will not pay if anything is not right. I've had them reject claims because of a wrong house # or zip code....They check it all and verify!!! Another thing, most don't want to go back on equipment they put in, especially if it's going to haunt them like this will.

Post Likes
    I think the consensus is to replace everything if you can. But all that is a mute point if the dude can't afford too. Which he expressed towards the end of his post. If it is hot. You gotta do what you gotta do to cool down. Wintertime is still a few months away and saving money to purchase the other half of the match is a better option than sweating your asse off. Yes, you could have problems in the wintertime. But there is still the option of using strip heat for a while. And yes we all know it costs more to operate resistance heaters than a heat pump. But once again, everybody seems to forget, you gotta do what you gotta do if you don't have the $$$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in