Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lemme give my opinion....It's a 12 year old system, for a heat pump, it's past it's useful life or "wore out". Replace both indoor and outdoor unit. If money IS a problem, you can replace the compressor for a quick fix, just make sure the installer removes the indoor & outdoor piston and flushes the system out and makes sure that the "little hole" inside the piston is clear, (assuming it's a piston and not TXV) as well as check both coils for cleanliness, then install a suction line drier in the suction line just before it goes into the compressor. Just my 2 cents.

You can install the new condenser (outside) with the older air handler (inside) and it will work to some degree. You won't be getting the full efficiency, but it will cool. It is preferable to put in a matched system, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money, what can you do? I wouldn't consider replacing just the compressor. It's too old to waste your money. It will be close to replacing the entire condenser in cost and the warranty will be 1 year. The only way anybody will know about the conditions of the setup for the warranty is if your contractor "rats" you out. Nobody will come out to inspect the setup from Ruud. If he will do that, then dump his arse, he's a POS. I would do as much as you can afford right now, save up and finish it within a reasonable amount of time and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You can install the new condenser (outside) with the older air handler (inside) and it will work to some degree. You won't be getting the full efficiency, but it will cool. It is preferable to put in a matched system, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money, what can you do? I wouldn't consider replacing just the compressor. It's too old to waste your money. It will be close to replacing the entire condenser in cost and the warranty will be 1 year. The only way anybody will know about the conditions of the setup for the warranty is if your contractor "rats" you out. Nobody will come out to inspect the setup from Ruud. If he will do that, then dump his arse, he's a POS. I would do as much as you can afford right now, save up and finish it within a reasonable amount of time and you should be fine.

do you know what's gonna happen when he goes to use the heat the first time in winter!

Since its a heat pump. Read this before mismatching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

seer isnt your main concern it realy comes down to coil surface
    is the indoor coil big enough or have enough surface to handle the ouside unit in heating mode. This is why matching the coils is so very important when it is a heat pump.

yes if the coil isnt matched it can burn out the compressor
    yes you will have problems and spend a lot more
    yes the guy is foolish to even think it can work without any technical data on your indoor unit

yes it most likely will cost more to operate heating and cooling

I have seen it many times when people add a new condenser heat pump outside and not inside and then want to know what room should they give up for the tech to sleep in because he is always there

replace it all and have a match system for and comfort for many years and with best operating costs

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Correct on RUUD not comming out to inspect......but, after the compressor in the replacement weatherking unit fails through the first winter because of the mismatch, When the service man fills out the Rheem/RUUD warrenty claim form for a compressor, What will he put down on the line asking for the model and serial of the "matched" indoor unit, knowing it is not matched? I used to put in lots of Rheem/RUUD and Weatherking, and belive me, they are going to check all of the info on that sheet, and will not pay if anything is not right. I've had them reject claims because of a wrong house # or zip code....They check it all and verify!!! Another thing, most don't want to go back on equipment they put in, especially if it's going to haunt them like this will.

I think the consensus is to replace everything if you can. But all that is a mute point if the dude can't afford too. Which he expressed towards the end of his post. If it is hot. You gotta do what you gotta do to cool down. Wintertime is still a few months away and saving money to purchase the other half of the match is a better option than sweating your asse off. Yes, you could have problems in the wintertime. But there is still the option of using strip heat for a while. And yes we all know it costs more to operate resistance heaters than a heat pump. But once again, everybody seems to forget, you gotta do what you gotta do if you don't have the $$$.

good point. And if he keeps spending the money using the strip heaters, he will never have the money to do the indoor unit to save money.

If he is on hard times. He may want to see if CAP will help.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

replace the comp.or match the system.we have done two 13 seer hp cond and have serious issues.according to our local rep it would work on 2 to 2 1/2 ton systems.they work fine in cooling, in heating you can watch the head pressure slowly climb and kicks off on the high pressure switch. now we match the coils regardless of what the rep. say's

Quote Originally Posted by indianajones View Post
    replace the comp.or match the system.we have done two 13 seer hp cond and have serious issues.according to our local rep it would work on 2 to 2 1/2 ton systems.they work fine in cooling, in heating you can watch the head pressure slowly climb and kicks off on the high pressure switch. now we match the coils regardless of what the rep. say's
    What rep told you that? What brand? No one allows a heat pump installation to an unmatched coil.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

i am not going to say, we do not use that particular branch any longer for our equip purchases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12