2 - 3oz pkg cream cheese
    ¼ cup dry onion soup mix
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp nutmeg
    2 cups soft bread crumbs
    ½ cup milk
    2 tbsp all purpose flour
    2 cups milk

Thoroughly combine meat, cheese, soup mix, salt, nutmeg, bread crumbs and ½ cup milk. Shape in to about 40 small meatballs. Brown lightly in large skillet shaking skillet to keep balls round. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes, occasionally shaking skillet. Remove meatballs and drain off all but 1/4 cup of the grease. Blend the flour in to the grease and add the 2 cups milk. Cook and stir until the gravy thickens. Return the meatballs to the skillet and cook until heated through.

Ok, now I grew up on these and other swedish meatballs just cannot compare. However, there are some caveats to the above recipe.

Soft bread crumbs means homemade. You can look it up on the net but it is really as simple as taking day-old bread and sticking it in the blender. If you have your own way, that's cool, but I would recommend that you keep them plain and unseasoned.

If you MUST use the dried up store bought crapolla, only use half the amount stated - because the crumbs are are dried.

Secondly, you do NOT want to thoroughly combine the cream cheese in to the mix. Add it last and keep it chunked as much as possible.

Thirdly, there are two ways to serve this. The recipe above calls for 40 small meatballs which is great for crock pot hors devours. Turn these in to a dinner by simply making the balls "normal" size and serve them over egg noodles.

Best swedish meatballs you'll ever have. Guarenteed!
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." ― Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Best swedish meatballs you'll ever have. Guarenteed!
    Not unless you serve them with Lingonsylt, and rutabaga mashed potatoes with leeks, stirred in just before serving.

Post Likes
    I subscribe to the Vermont magazine Cook's. This edition did a feature on this. Their recipe used half beef and half pork. Also theirs used both nutmeg and allspice and some brown sugar.
    I made them a couple of weeks ago and they were tasty.
    I think their recipes are on their web site.
    Cook's has a good show on PBS. What I like about it is they go to whatever it takes to get what they want so I can watch their process and their mistakes.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in