Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    2 stage dehumidifies better then a single stage by increasing running time. The SHR isn't lower in first stage.

If your basement is staying better now. You are probably light on return from your first and or second floor. And pullling conditioned air down from the first floor into the basement.
    Meaning that you are exchanging your basement air with conditioned air, not conditioning the basement air.
    No, it was actually the opposite which started my investigation. The basement door was like a wind tunnel until I changed the return. I may not be the greatest at duct design but if you dump 800cfm in a space shouldn't you take out 800 cfm?

I guess my main point was why have an extra piece of equipment running and hopefully being maintained if what you have can do the work.

Must have a big basement if you need 800 CFM.

Have you checked since adding/increasing basement return, to see if the basement is drawing any air out of the first floor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The basement is balanced now. No wind tunnel effect but now the main level return is too large and howls a little. Thats the next project. I just blocked off a little of the return grill to stop the howl for now. You know haw it goes, your own home is the last one to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    If you are really cheap, buy the biggest dehu they have at Lowes. Say 70 pint per day. If the basement is not finished and you keep your storage items off the floor and there is no carpet in developed space, you may get by. Or even as suggested, try to do it with your perfectly sized a/c. Get yourself a couple %RH meters and monitor the results. When the humidity gets +65%RH during wet cool weather, post back to us. We try to figure out why your a/c is not operating enough avoid high humidity in your basement/whole house. After a couple weeks of high humidity a slight musty odor may develop. After 5 year, you will be able to smell walking in the front door.
    The last option, make an investment in a 90 pint per day real dehumidifier that will keep your basement <50%RH even when it is rainy for a week(no a/c). Your basement can be the nicest space in your home. In fact with a duct connection, the real dehu will keep your entire home <50% without a/c operation. Regards TB
    You must work at RPC! Concluded that from where you live:-) But to the OP, your a/c unit can remove some of that humidity..WHEN ITS RUNNING..but what about all the time that it is not? Do your self a favor and get the right tool for the job. You want to control the humidity, invest in a dehumidifier.

I guess this whole topic really hits a nerve with me since so many people put bandaides on problems instead of really fixing the problem. Maybe it's just my area but most homes have no return in thier basement. Isn't it part of the building envelope? Shouldn't it be conditioned? Why not. I know it's not sealed off from the rest of the house. If the existing A/C can't handle the moisture then there is too much moisture. Stop the moisture from getting in.

To me not fixing the actual problem creates another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock52766 View Post
    You must work at RPC! Concluded that from where you live:-) But to the OP, your a/c unit can remove some of that humidity..WHEN ITS RUNNING..but what about all the time that it is not? Do your self a favor and get the right tool for the job. You want to control the humidity, invest in a dehumidifier.
    You are right about a couple things! "If you want control of humidity, get a dehumidifier", ok. Madison is the "real dehumidifier" capitol of the world. But there is a company in Madison that builds more dehumidifiers than RPC.
    The rest of my comments were intended to give the traditional a/c guys a chance to bend to my way of thinking.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12