Thread: Faint gas smell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Exclamation Faint gas smell

I have a HVAC unit w/ gas heat in my attic. I recently smelled a faint odor of gas near the gass line, but I saw a round thing on the line that said vent. Is this normal? The gas odor is very faint and comes and goes.

The only reason I smelled it was I recently put an attic ventilation fan in up there and spent some time up there wiring it up.

Post Likes
    Time to have it checked out by a pro. Make sure you let them know you installed the ventilation and what the circumstances were when and where you smelled it.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Time to have it checked out by a pro. Make sure you let them know you installed the ventilation and what the circumstances were when and where you smelled it.
    The system is only 2.5 years old and nothing has changed with the system. A HVAC company put the fan in...

Post Likes
    Don't mess around with gas, get someone out there ASAP.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aoh1811 View Post
    The system is only 2.5 years old and nothing has changed with the system. A HVAC company put the fan in...
    Let me rephrase my first response.....
    Smelling gas anywhere especially within an enclosed space is not good.

I think the appropriate warning label approved by lawyers is "can cause property damage, bodily harm or death".

It doesn't matter how old your equipment is or who put the fan in. I've seen gas leak from something after just being installed minutes before and not leak from something that was installed 30 years ago.

Call someone to come and figure out why you're smelling gas where a gas smell shouldn't be.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Twilli says call Gas Company
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says call Gas Company
    Twilli says call the Gas Company
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Let me rephrase my first response.....
    Smelling gas anywhere especially within an enclosed space is not good.

I think the appropriate warning label approved by lawyers is "can cause property damage, bodily harm or death".

It doesn't matter how old your equipment is or who put the fan in. I've seen gas leak from something after just being installed minutes before and not leak from something that was installed 30 years ago.

Call someone to come and figure out why you're smelling gas where a gas smell shouldn't be.
    The smell is near this round fitting thing on the gas line that says "vent" on it, is this some kind of safety pressure release/vent. My HVAC company was just out a few weeks ago for my bi-annual system check and all checked out fine???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in