Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Faint gas smell

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8

    Exclamation Faint gas smell

    I have a HVAC unit w/ gas heat in my attic. I recently smelled a faint odor of gas near the gass line, but I saw a round thing on the line that said vent. Is this normal? The gas odor is very faint and comes and goes.

    The only reason I smelled it was I recently put an attic ventilation fan in up there and spent some time up there wiring it up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,040
    Time to have it checked out by a pro. Make sure you let them know you installed the ventilation and what the circumstances were when and where you smelled it.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Time to have it checked out by a pro. Make sure you let them know you installed the ventilation and what the circumstances were when and where you smelled it.
    The system is only 2.5 years old and nothing has changed with the system. A HVAC company put the fan in...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NE Illinois
    Posts
    78
    Don't mess around with gas, get someone out there ASAP.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by aoh1811 View Post
    The system is only 2.5 years old and nothing has changed with the system. A HVAC company put the fan in...
    Let me rephrase my first response.....
    Smelling gas anywhere especially within an enclosed space is not good.

    I think the appropriate warning label approved by lawyers is "can cause property damage, bodily harm or death".

    It doesn't matter how old your equipment is or who put the fan in. I've seen gas leak from something after just being installed minutes before and not leak from something that was installed 30 years ago.

    Call someone to come and figure out why you're smelling gas where a gas smell shouldn't be.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,921
    Twilli says call Gas Company
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Let me rephrase my first response.....
    Smelling gas anywhere especially within an enclosed space is not good.

    I think the appropriate warning label approved by lawyers is "can cause property damage, bodily harm or death".

    It doesn't matter how old your equipment is or who put the fan in. I've seen gas leak from something after just being installed minutes before and not leak from something that was installed 30 years ago.

    Call someone to come and figure out why you're smelling gas where a gas smell shouldn't be.
    The smell is near this round fitting thing on the gas line that says "vent" on it, is this some kind of safety pressure release/vent. My HVAC company was just out a few weeks ago for my bi-annual system check and all checked out fine???

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,921
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says call Gas Company
    Twilli says call the Gas Company
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Posts
    35
    You should not smell gas out of the vent line. If your system is 2 1/2 years old it should be serviced anyways. Call for service and pay the tech extra to look for a gas leak.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cedar Grove, Wi-Sheboygan
    Posts
    1,582
    I'm with Twilli on this one call the gas company they have those niffty little gas sniffer's to find the source of where the leak is coming from, once they determine where the leak is coming from then you can call the installers and have them fix it ASAP !!!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NE Illinois
    Posts
    78
    I had a leak out the back of my shutoff valve, sprayed the bubbly soap on it and sure enough, found it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event