Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Trane broken already

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That's a lot of furnace. Sis has same size house and 75K 92% furnace! And we get below zero each winter.

They better check static pressure of the duct system. Still think an airflow issue.

thats what I'm thinking. I think he's got undersize duct, or not enough cold air return.......or both
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Your new furnace most likely has significantly more heating capacity than your old one, and has much higher airflow requirements.
    I hope they increased your ductwork too.

Did they do a load calculation, or just replace input capacity for input capacity?

Post Likes
    How to stop a Trane: Buy Westinghouse equipment; they make train brakes too.

See? Not so hard. Just a matter of switching suppliers.

Post Likes
    I agree, sounds like a LOT of furnace for that house! Was a Manual-J Calc done on the home when you got a bid?

A static test should be done, and also temp rise.

Post Likes
    The exhaust vent and cold air intake are 3"x 6' w 3 elbows
    returns are 2-14"x8" and a 6" round
    send vents 10"x8" , 10"x24", 18"x8"

Rheem was 80 vented to chimney .
    If I am over sized what are my options . None of the 4 contractors did static tests etc. Looks like I have a bigger problem than a switch eh.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by big windy View Post
    The exhaust vent and cold air intake are 3"x 6' w 3 elbows
    returns are 2-14"x8" and a 6" round
    send vents 10"x8" , 10"x24", 18"x8"

Rheem was 80 vented to chimney .
    If I am over sized what are my options . None of the 4 contractors did static tests etc. Looks like I have a bigger problem than a switch eh.
    Since it was just installed, I would be demanding to see the load calculation. And if it is in fact oversized, I would be wanting the proper sized unit.

If the unit is sized properly and the ductwork is the problem, then you need new ductwork. But if the contractor never mentioned the need for ductwork, I would be asking for pretty good price.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Will they try to detune this thing somehow or make it work somehow , defeating the purpose of buying it . What other problems can I expect ?

Post Likes
    If the system has been installed wrong or sized wrong, you might as well start a permanent Trane Down Again thread.

But if the system is installed right and sized right.....hooked up to the right sized and designed ductwork (which doesn't sound like the case), then you shouldn't experience many problems.

Like I said before, you need to get after this thing while its brand new. If you wait, then you are screwed. But if you catch it early enough, you may have some ground to stand on.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Your new furnace. Is 20,000 BTUs more heat out put.
    So in reality, they up sized your heat.

If they had put in the next size smaller furnace, you would only be 10000 BTUs output less then you had.

After they put the new limit switch in, and it still trips. Tell them you want them to do a load calc, and to put in the right size furnace.
    Heck in first stage that furnace can probably heat your house when it 0° out.(just a guess.)

What size furnace were the other estimates for.

Post Likes
    bout time you got here beenthere.....

I've been waiting for you to come take care of this one. I'm gettin a little hungry.

Alright everyone, beenthere is on the job and will be taking all your questions from here on out.

I got another 6 pack callin my name from the fridge.

Post Likes
    I got 4 left in mind.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I got 4 left in mind.
    4 sixpacks????

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt

You'll be here all night.

Post Likes
    Its alredy past my bedtime.

Post Likes
    I didn't notice till you asked , they were 100,000. I feel like an idiot . His price came in lower than the three other bids . Why I focused in on the model #s and not the higher btu is beyond me . DOH . I got a bigger unit for less , but it won't do me any good if it doesn't work . I can't ask the price difference ,but is it significant for 20,000 btu ?

Post Likes
    Its alredy past my bedtime.
    I still got about 3 hours left in me. Just not here online. I can only go so blind for one night.

Post Likes
    Good chance the 100's are too big also.
    As your learning, bigger isn't always better.
    And cheapest can mean trouble.

You don't have the duct work for that furnace.

Post Likes
    Good chance the 100's are too big also.
    As your learning, bigger isn't always better.
    And cheapest can mean trouble.

You don't have the duct work for that furnace.
    NOR THE HOUSE!!!!!!

Post Likes
    I didn't notice till you asked , they were 100,000. I feel like an idiot . His price came in lower than the three other bids . Why I focused in on the model #s and not the higher btu is beyond me . DOH . I got a bigger unit for less , but it won't do me any good if it doesn't work . I can't ask the price difference ,but is it significant for 20,000 btu ?
    price difference would be minimal, but the fact that it is oversized means you lost even if they would normally sell that furnace for 2 times the price of a 100K. Lowest bid? hmm imagine that. Don't want to sound like to big of a smartass but you focused on the price, thats why you missed the btu stated on the bid
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Funny , I didn't ask for bigger , what would he gain by upsizing me ? I will let you know how this pans out. At least I won't be needing a furnace tonight .Thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    Funny , I didn't ask for bigger , what would he gain by upsizing me ? I will let you know how this pans out. At least I won't be needing a furnace tonight .Thanks for your help.
    yeah

definately keep us posted. Get on it first thing tomorrow. Don't let them give you the run around. Its your money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in