service call and thermostat question

Based on advice on this board and some other research, I had decided that a Honeywell IAQ thermostat was a good answer for my system.

Instead of installing it myself - my usual first inclination, I called a reputable service company in my area - and they carry the Honeywell thermostats.

When I called, I told the lady that I wanted the Honeywell thermostat with humidity control and I wanted to schedule a blower door test. She seemed to understand exactly what I wanted.

An appointment was scheduled, the technician comes out, and knows less about Honeywell thermostats than I do. After calling back to the shop, they decide they don't have one.

Meanwhile, the technician has taken the existing flaky thermostat off the wall, said emergency heat is not wired up, fixes that, and puts it back on the wall.

There final suggestion was for me to order whatever thermostat I want, and once I got it in, I could schedule another service call to get it installed.

Then, they charge me a service call for this visit to hook up the emergency heat to a thermostat that doesn't work right and they know I am going to replace anyway.

Lets just say that I am less than impressed.

So, which Honeywell thermostat do I want to buy.

It needs to work with a single stage heat pump with backup heat and variable speed air handler - and I want dehumidify control.

Honeywell YTH9421C1002 Vision Pro IAQ Total Home Comfort System
    or
    Honeywell TH8321U1006 Vision Pro 8000,Touchscreen + dehumidifier

The two are close enough in price that is not an issue.

I understand that I lose the arm chair programming with the 3 wire version. What other differences are going to matter to me once it is installed and working?

Honeywell TH8321U1006 Vision Pro 8000,Touchscreen + dehumidifier is all that you need. It will do the job very well. You can set the humidity level at the desired % and the controller will try to accomplish that for you. It does this by running the system a little longer and will possibly take the temperature in the house below your set point in an attempt to maintain humidity levels. This is an excellent t-stat. I have one in my home.

It doesn't sound like from your post that you got a "Reputable" service company.

With a humidistat hooked to the Trane 2Tee3F31A100A air handler, what will the air handler do when the humidity is high and the temperature setting has been met. - does it run the blower at 350 cfm/ton?

I apologize for missing the "Variable Speed" part of your post. The IAQ stat will reduce the cfm's to 350 if the humidity is high in which case would be a better choice.

You want the YTH9421.(do not get a TH9421) Then you don't need the humidistat.
    It will do cool to dehumidify, slow the blower. Can also control a fresh air intake if you have one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks - exactly the information I was looking for.