Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

replacement for Lennox 2-stage HS21

My Lennox HS21 two speed 5-ton unit died a couple of months out of warranty.
    The inside unit is (I assume) in great shape (Harmony-II 3-zone). What would be a compatible / recommended replacement?

One contractor is recommending a Trane XR14, which I'm leaning against both because I'd prefer a higher efficiency unit and a two-stage.

So...
    is installing a single-stage A/C a really bad idea?
    can the existing air handler be used with the new R-410A A/C's?

Thanks

One contractor is recommending a Trane XR14, which I'm leaning against both because I'd prefer a higher efficiency unit and a two-stage.
    Ask for a higher efficiency system quote.

So...
    is installing a single-stage A/C a really bad idea?
    If you've had a two stage system, then installing a single stage system will likely increase your electrical consumption.

can the existing air handler be used with the new R-410A A/C's?
    NO!

It's best to replace both the indoor and outdoor units at the same time to ensure efficiency and to avoid future problems down the road. Good luck. You really should be looking into getting matching air handlers.

Get a quote on a Lennox XC21
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

what is model# of existing air handler??

could be a rated match with lennox xc16 or xc21 if not to old, would have to replace the txv.

yeah i agree with beenthere get a quote on the xc21.
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

The HS21 is an R-22 unit so the air handler would not be a good match for an R-410A condenser.

Check out the Trane or American Standard 18 SEER two-stage unit they are R-22 and work fine on the CB32 MV AH. I have done this in the past when the HS-21 coils have failed without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    what is model# of existing air handler??

could be a rated match with lennox xc16 or xc21 if not to old, would have to replace the txv.
    The air handler is CB31MV-65-1P

That's an ARI-rated match with many condensers from Lennox's current product line (including XC16-060 and XC21-060). You're probably in good shape if they replace the TXV (probably necessary though ARI doesn't show any TXV associated with the air handler in the ratings).

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    That's an ARI-rated match with many condensers from Lennox's current product line (including XC16-060 and XC21-060). You're probably in good shape if they replace the TXV (probably necessary though ARI doesn't show any TXV associated with the air handler in the ratings).

there you go, change the txv and have an ari rated match..........

I thiink his old unit used a TXV.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    The two units you are recommending are R-410A and his current system is R-22. I don't believe that coil was rated for R-410A and once used with R-22 it does not need to be used with R-410A.

If you are not a pro don't understand the consequences of your recommendations don't make them. If you are supposed to be a pro and don't understand the consequences then don't make them.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    The two units you are recommending are R-410A and his current system is R-22. I don't believe that coil was rated for R-410A and once used with R-22 it does not need to be used with R-410A.

If you are not a pro don't understand the consequences of your recommendations don't make them. If you are supposed to be a pro and don't understand the consequences then don't make them.
    Classical,

So ARI just rates systems that don't work together? Look up ARI reference #1003799 and #545745. Look like good matches to me.

t527ed works with Lennox systems, and his response was

there you go, change the txv and have an ari rated match..........
    What kind of consequences are you expecting from a system rated by the American Refrigeration Institute? The TXV can be changed, and the system can be cleaned out and vacuumed. I understand the possible repercussions of using a coil that was used with a different type of refrigerant, and that's why a good company should do this. I'm very careful with my responses, by the way, and I certainly do not see any issue with this one. If you have any enlightenment to shed on the matter, I'll gladly listen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast