New HVAc unit for 1700 sq foot home in South Texas

I am going to purchase a new HVAC unit. I have some quotes from different contractors. I am not sure which is the better unit. Avergae summer temp. is about 105. Winter lasts 3 days of 28 if your lucky. I have been quoted a rheem, Trane, and Frigidaire. Which of these is the best?

None of them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As beenthere's post indicates, these forums are not about which brand is best.

The question is, which contractor will tell you to see if you can reduce the heat-gain heat-loss before having an accurate load calc done, so that they can properly size the new unit(s).

A quality installation & set-up are what is important. - Darrell

New HVAC unit

I apologize for asking a question.
    3 three years ago I had the unit replaced and trusted a contractor that installed 3.5 Ton condensor coil, 4 ton evaporator, and 3.5 ton furnace. Now my A/C turns on at noon and does not shut off until 8 PM. If I was an expert on HVAC, then I would not need to hire a contractor. Yes, I had a contractor do a heat load study ($500.00) and he rfused to give it to me unless I bought his system. This was suposed to be a highly recommended contractor by local homes and businesses. It is diffucult to know who to trust. I only asked because each contractor states that there product is best, so who do you trust? I simply wanted an unbiased opinion. I am simply a consumer trying to make an educated decision. I hate giving my hard earned money away to dishonest people. I did not mean to offend or upset anyone. Thank you for your help.

If you paid to have teh load calc done. Then you own it, and if he refused to give it to you, then he should have returned your money.
    The run time you posted is not out of line.
    And the system match is a common one.
    Basically, any of the 3 brands you posted, if they are 3.5 ton units also, they will run the same amount of time.

Instead of wasting(yes wasting money) on a bigger A/C, are there any improvements you can do to your home first.

Adding an additional R10 value to your attic insulation could reduce your run time by 1 hour or more. Tinting/shading of windows more yet.
    Replacing leaking door seals. Chaulking drafty window frames.
    Sealing receptacles and switches on outside walls. If your ducts are in an unconditioned space, fixing air leaks in them can increase A/C capacity by 15% or more.

None of those suggestions has anything to do with brand, because all brands are effected by those pit falls the same way.

If your increasing your A/C size, your just going to use more electric in a shorter period of time.
    Contractor locator map

New HVAC Unit

Last year I had a company come out and add insulation to the attic and I bought the seals for electrical outlets and installed them. It has made a dramatic improvement. Now when I set the temperature to 76 it stays there, before it would continue to climb up to 79. According to the heat load study it says I need a 4 ton unit, but this is all I was able to get out of it. After a few discussions I was able to get my money back for the heat load study.

Now I am looking a diferent quotes for different systems, I am leaning towards the Frigidaire because of the warranty they offer, and the price. Trane and Rheem are expensive, but you also get what you pay for. This is what is confusing to end consumer since I do not understand all the different pasts and or components that make the system work and give it is durability/relaibility. Asking my contractor is useles becasue he wants to push his product. Thank you for all of your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ccalcaneo1 View Post
    Now when I set the temperature to 76 it stays there, before it would continue to climb up to 79.
    So whats the problem?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

New HVAC Unit

Is it normal or an A/C to run 7 hours without shutting down? When the temperature outside hits 98, it runs all day.

Quote Originally Posted by ccalcaneo1 View Post
    Is it normal or an A/C to run 7 hours without shutting down? When the temperature outside hits 98, it runs all day.
    Maybe maybe not depends on the humidity factor, but in my opinion if you can't keep your thermostat at 78 degree in your home and feel comfortable you have other issues.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Why do you want to replace a three year old system when your only complaint so far is a long run time on a 98 degree day...and your house is comfortable?

Consider having radiant barrier sprayed on the underside of your roof deck. Beenthere has suggested other good measures, some of which it appears you've done. If you haven't yet addressed duct leakage, I'd look at spending money there vs. a new system to replace one that's only three years old.

Back when we had out heat wave here. The one day my A/C ran for 6 hours straight maintaining the temp from noon to 6PM.
    I think it ran 2 hours longer on the previously hotter day. But could be mistaken.
    If 98° is your design day, and it maintained temp, its doing pretty good.
    Your current duct system could also need minor improvements that could make yoour current A/C work better.
    One thing you may not be realizing with at least the Carrier you mentioned. It will probably run almost as long as your current if not longer, because its 2 stage. And it will start running like that at lower OD temps, they are intended to run that way.

Ps: What about improvements to your windows, can anything be done there.

If you want to buy a new system, fine. But don't expect lower electric bills be cause its bigger and shuts off sooner.

Get what you can afford, afford what you get.
    Improve house envolope first when ever and where ever possible.
    Contractor locator map