Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    T/BWH is the mod of air handler

If sucking crawl space air.................there is no place for a filter in that a/h

the coil is probably caked.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Home warranty companies usually won't cover a mismatch system. So that warranty may end up being worthless if you have a problem.

Well it's an American Home Shield warranty. I've been looking through the documentation trying to find what you're talking about, but can't so far. Can someone check it out and see if they say something about not covering mismatched systems?

https://www.ahscustomer.com/productBacker/NSVHS7.PDF

I'll probably get the additional AC coverage...

Actually I did just see this under heating systems. It say this isn't covered.
    "Systems with improperly matched condensing unit and evaporative coil per manufacturer’s specifications – Improper use of
    metering devices (i.e. thermal expansion valves)."
    Is that what I have in place?

Quote Originally Posted by synapse88 View Post
    "Systems with improperly matched condensing unit and evaporative coil per manufacturer’s specifications – Improper use of
    Yes (at least it would appear that way from the picture provided). However, that's odd because home warranty companies are notorious for replacing only an indoor or outdoor unit, thus creating a mismatched system.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Yes (at least it would appear that way from the picture provided). However, that's odd because home warranty companies are notorious for replacing only an indoor or outdoor unit, thus creating a mismatched system.
    Not odd. Its their way of getting out of paying more then they have to.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by synapse88 View Post

Thats their safety clause for them. Your condenser goes, they don't have to pay because your system is mismatched.

But don't worry, they liked your money.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Thats their safety clause for them. Your condenser goes, they don't have to pay because your system is mismatched.

But don't worry, they liked your money.
    Well I haven't given them any money yet, but if they're not gonna cover my HVAC system I'm not buying the warranty. Think I'll talk to their representative about it...and if they say they will cover it to have them put it in writing

Let us know how it goes.
    Contractor locator map

do you guys have any feedback about these two questions?

I'm hoping to be able to make some temporary repairs to the air handler (a-la metal tape or something like that) to prevent it from sucking air from the crawlspace. I guess I'd have to clean the coils in the air compressor. And then bide my time waiting on the heat pump to fail at which time I'll replace both the pump and handler. Does that make any sense?

Also would it be worth paying the $100ish to have a HVAC guy come out to look over the heat pump (prior to me closing)? I assume with the exception of a major leak (found by a pressure test?), he probably wouldn't be able to point out any huge issues with it since it's working fine at this point. What do you guys think about that? Worth it considering it's working fine now (the AC at least).

Never hurts to have a HVAC company check it out that is working for you.

Might find issues you don't notice yet.
    Contractor locator map

Some things I would think about if I was just waiting till that dreaded day for it to die.

What if it goes out in severe weather can I wait it out?
    How long will it take them to get out give me an estimate and decided?
    I am going to want more than one est. for a retro how long will it take me to decide on which contractor to go with?

I have seen some folks on here 1 year prior to replacing their system start doing research and find contractors and it took them most of that time to be satisfied with their choice. Just some things to think about.

Have you had your home checked for Radon? Might want to make it's safe if the air handler is going to continue to stay in the shape it is.

So the seller offered me a credit of $1500 to cover the air handler and the ductwork replacement. I don't know if it's enough, but I think it's pretty close. What do you guys think? I'm having an HVAC guy come out tomorrow to give me an estimate

You'll find out tomorrow or when he gets back top you on what it cost.
    We can see everything involved. So we don't know what it will cost.
    Contractor locator map

Replace the whole thing now an save time and agrevation in long run..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast