Thread: boards oppinions.

Post Likes

boards oppinions.

I recently had a no cooling call. Found very low on charge and just been charged up last week. I then explained the options of just changing system out. It is a 20 yr. old tempstar. She said that the tech before suggested putting some type of leak stop in the lines. I passed on this in fear of what it may do to compressor. I dont want a customer to say well the compressor was fine before you worked on . I gave a changeout ballpark quote, billed and left. I am wondering what you fellas might have done?

Post Likes
    might have done the same if it was a nasty house or customer. you would have been the hero if you found the leak and repaired it.are the lines leaking in the walls or something?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydp View Post
    I recently had a no cooling call. Found very low on charge and just been charged up last week. I then explained the options of just changing system out. It is a 20 yr. old tempstar. She said that the tech before suggested putting some type of leak stop in the lines. I passed on this in fear of what it may do to compressor. I dont want a customer to say well the compressor was fine before you worked on . I gave a changeout ballpark quote, billed and left. I am wondering what you fellas might have done?
    If it's leaking that fast you should be able to find it .If it can be fixed is a different story.But losing a charge in a week is a bad leak that could be found.
    Since you asked what would you do,thats what I would have done.Then after finding that give a price for repair and new equipment.

Post Likes
    What methods did you use to find the problem?

Post Likes
    I did not think is was worth fixing on a 20 yr. old system, though might run into further problems. But i am basically still a newbie and thats why i asked. Thanx for the input, i will hunt that leak down.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydp View Post
    I did not think is was worth fixing on a 20 yr. old system, though might run into further problems. But i am basically still a newbie and thats why i asked. Thanx for the input, i will hunt that leak down.

Hey Twilli was born in Spartanburg.....Twilli still got people there.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Why would anyone want to repair a 20 year old system. Change the system. It is better for the client in the long run, rather than sending good money after bad.

Post Likes
    If its loosing it that fast, a 10 minute leak check would have found it. It might have been an easy repair,(bad schrader, leaking at service valve) but now you don't know.
    Then you could have explained to her if the leak stop would stop the leak or not. Plus that it could damage the compressor, and she would still need a new system, but have that much less money to pay for a new one.

Give it some time. You'll learn.

Guessing your company wasn't the one out the week before. If not, next week, she'll call someone else. They might sell her an evap coil. Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not. But then if the compressor dies. That company will get the condenser change out too. Then its worth it.

Post Likes
    Well you could have put the leak stop in , and then came back in few days after it killed her compressor and gave bid for new equipment, LEAK STOP DOES NOT WORK, HARMS SYSTEM, AND IS JUST FLAT OUT UN-PROFESSIONAL AND LAZY!

Post Likes
    Twilli's a long way from home! I knew I recognized that accent, just coulden't place it without actually hearing it. lol

Post Likes
    It's unethical to not give the option to repair if the objective is to provide a good service. (As opposed to just selling)

There's no such thing as a best before date for HVAC equipment.

Post Likes
    Is it unethical or is it good,sound advice?

Post Likes
    Sound advise is recommending not to repair it, in many cases.

If your afrais the person will go with the repair because you or the company will loose or not make as much money, its unethical.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in