Talon

Thread: Talon

Talon

Hello,

Can anyone would give me the 411, skinney, dirt, scoop, low down, word on becoming a Talon Dealer/Rep?

After careful review of prospective business opportunities I do believe this would be the best fit for me.

I would also welcome Pro's & Con's.

Thanks!
    All my leon freaked out!

From my dealings....

PROs:
    Tridium AX
    Open AX license (so far)
    LON field controllers
    ASCs carry LONmark certification

CONs:
    Slow to market with Tridium upgrades
    Products are not available on the open market
    AX 'wizards' are graphics that are a bit clunky
    The Raptor FP software is closely guarded by reps

Unfortunately, the CONs carry much more weight with me than the PROs can overcome.

Overall I'd put Staefa one step above TAC. With TAC being a scored a well deserved zero.

Quote Originally Posted by chiller mekanik View Post
    Hello,

Can anyone would give me the 411, skinney, dirt, scoop, low down, word on becoming a Talon Dealer/Rep?

After careful review of prospective business opportunities I do believe this would be the best fit for me.

I would also welcome Pro's & Con's.

Thanks!
    PM me.
    Emails in my profile.
    jogas

I feel that Staefa is a decent product but is very limited. You will end up using a lot of four loop controllers with all your programming in the front end. They have documented work arounds (lots of them). All but one job I did were R2, the AX I saw was as stated clunky at best. They may have those issues worked out is has been over a year since I left. I would say if you go that direction get good at writing program blocks you will need them.

Staefa spends a great deal on r+d,and what the previous poster stated about there controllers being limited i dont agree with,there raptor controller (similar to dx9100)is an excelant control with graphic programming wayyy better than johnsons.There customer support (tech)is excellant always got help quick,and they develop alot of tools for the dealers which save time(prebuilt vav,fcu graphics etc.)But learning tridium ax is a big step that can be hard for an average tech,if you can get someone that has experiance with it i say go for it,but if your looking to do smaller jobs it may be in your best interest to look into something simpler like alerton,etc.The best thing about staefa is there is hardly a spec. out there this system cant meet,bacnet,lon,lns,modbus in my opinion one of the best good luck.

There is another option to consider.

Hook up with a Tridium partner and work a deal with them.

Someone like these guys http://www.activelogix.com/ could probably help you. Why spend money on a dealership when you can probably learn AX and then just buy whatever controllers you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby m View Post
    there raptor controller (similar to dx9100)is an excelant control with graphic programming wayyy better than johnsons.
    Maybe. The problem is getting access to the programming software. Anyone can buy the JCI DX-9100 programming tool.
    Accessibility is important, unless you're a contractor wanting to lock-up a customer with hardware instead of satisfaction.

The best thing about staefa is there is hardly a spec. out there this system cant meet,bacnet,lon,lns,modbus in my opinion one of the best good luck.
    That's news to me that they have a BACcrap line and a modbus line. Post a link to those please.

Talon

chiller mekanik
    Steafa is as good a system as any other. There are problems just like there is in all control system. NINAX is about right on the pros & cons with the exception of the Raptor, yes it has to come from Steafa but so do any other programmable controller software. Its built around AX and its easy to use. You can get JACE's alot less than an FX40, 20, 60. The VAV has alot of I/O. The 4loop is a good little controller as well as the FC's and HP's. The one thing to keep in mind is any cert lon device older than 4/06 has a lon image problem and may have to be flashed. Same as everyones. Talon is open and they have rebuilt the graphic setups. This makes it easy to use. The setups come in full and light. As said the support is very good. The JACE is blank when you bye it. Not like the FX, however you don't get the heavy overhead. And there is no 100 controller limit or 1000 points which is a load. There is a large support group just for this stuff. Go for it.

NINAX
    Steafa has a BACnet line, I'm not aware of anyone that has Modbus except on the Jace.

GregF

Quote Originally Posted by GregF View Post
    chiller mekanik
    Steafa is as good a system as any other. There are problems just like there is in all control system. NINAX is about right on the pros & cons with the exception of the Raptor, yes it has to come from Steafa but so do any other programmable controller software. Its built around AX and its easy to use.
    What I am referring to is availability of the Raptor programming tool, not that it comes from the manufacturer. Compare it to Distech's FP which is readily available and free and JCI's FX line FP which is available for purchase (just to pick two common lines), and you can see where I am coming from.

You can get JACE's alot less than an FX40, 20, 60.
    If you mean that the Staefa JACEs are cheaper, I don't know. But if you need N2 capability, the FXs are a steal compared to the alternatives.

The JACE is blank when you bye it. Not like the FX, however you don't get the heavy overhead.
    Yeah, what a waste of good AX space that is.

Steafa has a BACnet line, I'm not aware of anyone that has Modbus except on the Jace.
    Do you have a link?

Talon

NINAX

I don't have that link with me , but I will post it for you. You are right you have to be a dealer to get RBT. As far as N2, JCI isn't the only place you can get it. We deal in a lot of control systems, Staefa is one as well as JCI. They both have there ups and downs. JCI is going BACnet for some unknown reason and lon, N2, BACnet for the ABCS's. At any rate if you use lon or bacnet you don't need an FX at all. I can tell you the difference in price. We sale Jace's to a ABCS because after our mark up they cost alot less.

GregF