Question Question about a contractor?

Hi guys i am about to get a new AC unit plus an A-Coil installed. Here is my question. The company came out and diagnosed my problem. The ended up having to put die in the freon line to find a leak. While the tech was there you could actually hear the leak on the outside unit. Anyways the tech said they would apply the cost of this service to a new unit if i used them to install it. They guy who does the estimates called me and told me he doesn't need to come out and gave me a price quote for a 2-ton unit. Thats where i'm confused. Aren't they suppose to do a duct test and insulation test before they tell you what size of a unit you should have? I called them and they told me its only based on square footage. They said they would do a duct test though when they installed the unit to make sure everything is ok. Does this sound right. A guy at work told me he just had a new furnace/air conditioning installed and he said they came out and did all kinds of test and gave him all kinds of printouts of what he would need. He said he even asked what happens when i install more insulation and they even ran numbers off of that.
    Here is the company: <removed>

I have a small 12 year old house (1100 Square Feet) with a full basement. My previous unit was a cumberland unit RAC020 which i think is 2-ton unit also. They told me it was a 9 SEER. I've had problems with it ever since i bought the house 5 years ago. They pretty much told me it was a really cheap unit. Can i expect a big cost savings going from a 13 from a 9 SEER?

They have been in our area for quite awhile and i haven't heard any bad things about them and i can tell you they were the cheapest out of 5 places i called by at least 20&#37;. Then again this is a local family owned place that is non-union. I know i'm not supposed to post cost though. The price the quoted me was for a Rheem Rand 13 SEER unit which seems descent especially with the scroll compressor.
    Rheem RAND024
    ADP/RE22436C17

Here is there notes on the work order:
    1 - Reclaim freon as needed, remove and haul away old unit
    2 - install new coil in the same box, rehook line set
    3 - install new a/c unit on a new ground pad, rehook lines and wiring
    4 - pumdown, check for leaks, recharge system.

I hope someone can reply shortly because they are supposed to come out wednesday. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

I know this is not directly related but hopefully this is ok to post here. My energy bills lately seem to be on the high side. Without running the air the last 3 months i have used between 900-1000kw. I'm pretty careful about turning out lights when they need to be turned out and use energy saving bulbs ect ect. I do have 2 refrigerators (built in the last 5 years). One deep freeze (2 years old) and a computer i leave on. Does that sound in line?

Like i said any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,
    Ncage
    Last edited by jrbenny; 06-16-2008 at 07:10 PM.

If they ould hear the leak, why did they need to add dye?

If it isn't written in the contract, they probably aren't going to do it.
    So where does it say they will test the ducts to tell you what should be fixed now that they installed a new system.

If that company you posted does Manual J and checks everything, why not call them instead.

And yes, a 13 SEER can save you a lot over a 9 when sized and installed porperly.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If they ould hear the leak, why did they need to add dye?

If it isn't written in the contract, they probably aren't going to do it.
    So where does it say they will test the ducts to tell you what should be fixed now that they installed a new system.

If that company you posted does Manual J and checks everything, why not call them instead.

And yes, a 13 SEER can save you a lot over a 9 when sized and installed porperly.
    We heard the hissing/leak after he had already put the die in. It doesn't state that anywhere that they have to do a duct test. I just called them and am going by what they said on the phone. Isn't it a law that they have to do a duct test when they install a new unit? They company my friend went with is generally one of the more expensive companies to go with and since my a/c unit, my roof needing replaced, and one of my computers dieing all at once i'm trying to save as much as i can. Of course he has about the same size of house as me, but no basement (he is on a slab), and after was all said and done he got a 2-ton unit. I mean i doubt there is a duct problem since my house is so new but i though all reputable companies did that....am i wrong?

You don't say where you are. So it may not be a law.

If it isn't written in the contract, they aren't going to do it.

The reason the company your friend went with is expensive is because they do check things. They charge more because they de more.
    The cheap company you want to use charges less because they do less.
    You weren't even worth the salesmans time to come out and look at your house and system for him to earn his commission. How important do you think you'll be when it doesn't work right.

Your on a buget. So it you use this cheap company, and after they install it they say you need to pay to fix this and or that. Then your really suck because you didn't plan on spending that money.
    The more expensive company will let you know what everything cost upfront so you don't have any supprises.

New houses seldom have good duct systems. They were installed by the lowest bid company. They didn't put anything extra in they didn't have to.

A good company would check your duct system when they're salesman is there. To know for sure.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

another reason the company your friend used is more expensive,is that they gave him all the specs for the job in writing (man j,possibly man d). alot of companies will do these but not give them to the customer unless they get the job.-totally reasonable when you spend a few hours measuring and calculating just to have the H.O. use this info to get a lower bid(the next guy dosent have to do it) if you go with the lowest bid, with no man d,then YOU are agreeing to take the chance that the salesman sized your unit correctly AND that the ductwork in place is sufficient for your load.

It is to your beneifit to have a load calc done on your home to ensure you are going to get the right size system installed for your home. You say you currently have a 2 ton AC running in your home now, and if you were to have a load calc done you may only need a 1-1/2 ton AC instead of a 2 ton, or you may need a 2-1/2 ton AC but to find out you need to have a load calc done prior to install. You also will need to have your duct work checked out as well to see if it will be enough to supply what ever size unit you need. The load calc will also tell you if there's any insulation work that you can have done to help increase your efficiency with the new system as well so there's alot for you to benefit from by having a load calc done. Did you get and reference's from company A, or B or C and talked with some of there customers and maybe even went to look at some of there installs ? Don't get rushed into making a big decision and investment without doing some homework on which ever company you choose to go with, if you think it's expensive now wait until the install is'nt done properly when you have to have company E come and fix company B's install work.