Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good Luck.

Keep in mind, That Unico will stand behing their product. As far as it will work proper when used in the proper application, and installed correctly.(not trying to stick up for them)

If its installed imporperly, or miss applied. They can only advise the installing contractor of what should be corrected.

Hopefully this has a good ending for you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes I understand that and dont think I have been unreasonable. A Unico engineer, along with the president of Unico was at my home because of all the problems and at that time stated with several changes (upgrading and shifting some things around) it would meet their specs or requirements. Those changes were made, to my understanding, yet we still continue to have major breakdowns of the units and it does not cool nor heat properly.

They won't always mention everything in front of you the home owner.
    Mostly to prevent loss of faith in the contractor.(too late now) There may be things they told the contractor about that the contractor didn't address properly.

Let us know what response you get from the letter.
    Contractor locator map

Unico Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Brady View Post
    Yes I understand that and dont think I have been unreasonable. A Unico engineer, along with the president of Unico was at my home because of all the problems and at that time stated with several changes (upgrading and shifting some things around) it would meet their specs or requirements. Those changes were made, to my understanding, yet we still continue to have major breakdowns of the units and it does not cool nor heat properly.
    TOM BROWN IS THE UNICO GUY YOU NEED OUT THERE. HE IS IN ST LOUIS

Yesterday I was very pleased to receive a call from Tom, customer service at Unico. He said he was sorry for the trouble we had experienced and stated there had been a few problems with the units I had in the configeration in which they were used. He also said Unico is standing behind this and sending new units. However, he was puzzled as to why this had not already been taken care of. Unico had agreed to send new units days ago, according to Tom at Unico YET the Installer/contractor is still holding me hostage demanding money before he will order them. What is the deal here?

The heating and air company has ignored communication from us, including a letter from my attorney stating we would be forced to file suit against him if we did not hear from him by yesterday. It doesnt seem to be important to him that we (my family, including my 82 year old mother) have been forced to vacate our home because of heat. (93 inside) We are incurring extra expense for accomodations and meals out side of our home and we have done this since May 29th. This is a burden and hardship on my family.

Thank you Unico for communicating and making an effort to remedy our bad situation. I hope this fix will work this time and we can all move on to other things of life.

As far as the installer, they are a good sized company in central NC and pride themselves at being the best. DONT believe them.

As we said, Unico is a good company.

As to teh money with the installing contractor, thats between you and them, and maybe the courts.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Brady View Post
    The heating and air company has ignored communication from us, including a letter from my attorney stating we would be forced to file suit against him if we did not hear from him by yesterday. It doesnt seem to be important to him that we (my family, including my 82 year old mother) have been forced to vacate our home because of heat. (93 inside) We are incurring extra expense for accomodations and meals out side of our home and we have done this since May 29th. This is a burden and hardship on my family.
    They have lost a lot of money on your install... due to their own incompetence plus some faulty unico units (according to the unico rep). They just want to stop the bleeding.

It is important for you to follow through and file suit, to make them understand that the path of bleeding LESS money involves fixing your problem instead of ignoring you.

It is easy to drop a lawsuit of this type once they do fix the problem, but only drop it once it is really fixed.

-HF

Confused how did you make out

Vernon how did things work out with unico did they stand behind there equipment or not thanks

Unico

Continues to have major breakdowns. Factory replaced one of the units 2 years ago and now it is broken again and rendered "Non site repairable" Hard to discern bad install/equipment or both. Factory nor area reps can /have not suggested names of qualified installers who understand their equipment and could make it work. Original installer will not return calls. We have been without heat since December 15th. I have called in other heating and air guys. all have said unfortunate but rip it all out and start over. Some have said they have never installed a unico but taken a lot out. Factory has said they will replace unit again but not cover costs of install. Until we know why it breaks every two years I do not want to do that. I would not use Unico again.

What breaks?
    Contractor locator map

broken Unico

I have a large house 2 air handlers on 1st, 2 on 2nd and 1 on 3rd floor. There are 2 units outside, a 3 and 5 ton. There is also a tankless water heater that injects hot water when needed into the system. With all this are pumps, controllers, switches etc. Right now both chillers have no refrigerant, the tankless system will not fire up, a pump is sounding bad and a repairman said the control board seems weak. The 5 ton unit leaked in the coils and said to be non site repairable. The 3 ton was reported to be repairable in place. In the fall of 2008 the same problem happened and Unico replaced the 5 ton unit. Now just over 2 years and it happened again. This seems to be a Unico problem unless something about the design (it is complicated even to HVAC guys) is litterally tearing it up. I also believe it is a botched install. That is why I asked Unico to help me find an installer who knows their equipment and understands how it is to work. I even called the area factory rep and they refused to give me a name and said I had to deal with the original installer. He, Richard XXXXXX will not return my many calls and sent word he was too busy. My home has been without heat and hot water since December 15th. (We are presently heating with gas fireplaces and I bought an electric water heater to stick in) I have 2 slots outside for chillers and if the 5 ton is replaced this time it will make #6 in 5.5 years. This can not be right! It seems Unico would want to help me get this fixed. All I know is my experience and it has been a nightmare and cost $$$$$$!
    Last edited by Stamas; 02-23-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Removed last name.

In the past few years there have been several post by people with Unico reverse cycle chillers. And they are haven't these problems.

The tankless is not Unico's unit, nor the circ that is making noise.

Unico not giving you another companies name, either means there is no other dealer in your area that works on their reverse cycle chillers, or that you install is so messed up they don't want to stick another contractor with trying to fix up the mess.
    Contractor locator map

I know the other parts like tankless is not Unico. But the chillers are. They have both leaked all refrigerant. 5 ton was replaced because coils leaked and now 2 years later same problem. That seems to be a Unico problem. I do believe if the product is as bad as what I have experienced in my home in NC, Unico would be out of business. 8 tons is too small for my home. We got to 8 after a visit from the president of Unico, an engineer from Unico and the factory rep came out for a day and the had the contractor up the size. My home probably needs 10 to 12 tons (my guess). This is a water system. The piping even though insullated causes so much condensation that it is as if it rains in my basement. NOT drip ... rain I am afraid for my home. I am just stumped, frustrated and trying to get answers to a serious and $$$$$ costly problem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast