Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Confused Bad experience with Unico

HELP! Maybe you can help me know what to do. I wish I had chilled out and never purchased this equipment! I have a Unico system with 2 unichillers and 5 air handlers installed by xxx. I really wish it worked like the literature, website and sales people promised. In 3 years it has not worked for one cooling or heating season with out MAJOR breakdowns. We have replaced unichillers, pumps, valves, capacitors, control boards, to name a few. It has never heated or cooled my home properly. When we turned on the air for this year it became evident the 5 ton chiller is bad and needs to be replaced. We are now forced out of our home because it is so hot (92 inside) and now Bryant wants to charge me $xxxx to fix something that has never worked. My personal experience with Bryant and Unico for my home has been very bad and I regret the day we learned about this system that sounds so great. If Unico is really great and I have just had a bad experience please fix it and let me just enjoy my home with heating and cooling. What do you think? System cost $xx,xxx and has not delivered one heating or cooling season without MAJOR shutdowns. About one year ago the president of Unico, Dave Page, actually came to my home to observe the problems and I hoped that would began a remedy , BUT it didn't.
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 06-16-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Not sure what you're asking for from this site. You might want a lawyer.

Me thinks you'd better remove the pricing and personal names before the mod squad shows up. It's against the forum rules to post pricing.

It boggles my mind how much trouble people will put up with when sometimes just a single call or letter from a lawyer will get things fixed.

In my case, it took one hour's advice from a lawyer to help me quickly resolve a 5 month ongoing dispute. The money spent on the lawyer versus saved on the contractor was about 1:60.

You do your own math.

-HF

Installation is everything..........I have installed a ton of Unico systems, never an issue.

I would not come here and bash Unico, I would go have a talk with the installer.

Brand bashing is not something we want here anyway.

I have no Idea what Bryant has to do with Unico.

As said earlier, Unico is generally a reliable unit. Bad installs can be the downfall of any brand.

A lawyer may be you best recourse.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Unico

I am sorry I did not come to bash and I guess in my fast reading of policies I did not catch all the rules regarding names and amounts. But the facts are the facts. Since I am not a systems engineer nor heating and air contractor I can not know what the problem really is and I am wanting your input or thoughts. All I know is I spent lots of money and can not heat or cool my house. I am frustrated and looking for remedy. I believe patience has been demonstrated and good faith because we have continued to allow the next fix, another part, replace the chiller etc.

Is Unico good? dependable? maybe it is just the installer and the way it was set up? But that doesn't explain to me why the unichillers keep having major breakdowns and need replacing.

Life is not always as simple as one call or letter from an attorney (done that)and continuing down that road is a journey I think is best not traveled by any of the parties. But if forced to go that route we will do it. Thanks for your thoughts. My apologies again for breaking your rules.

Vern,

I have never seen a Unichiller even though we have installed many standard Unico systems, I have never heard anything bad about them either. So without seeing them my first reaction is installation issues, although I may be incorrect!

Good luck!

Bob

No way to really analyze your system's ailments without being on site. Chiller systems, even residential variety, are not simple configurations.

Hazarding a guess...sub par installation quality and/or improper system design are the largest contributors to poor system performance and breakdowns. It happens with multi-million dollar chiller plants as well as residential chiller installations.

Misapplication of cirulators/pumps on a chiller will cause many problems. Safeties are not designed to be operating limits. When a system functions off its safeties, the safeties tend to fail quickly and leave the system unoperatable.
    This could be most of your troouble. Bad desgn of the installation. Attempting to operate outside of its normal operating parameters. Voltage fluctuations, spikes etc.

You need a good diagnostic guy. And you may not be able to find one.
    It sounds like the installing company isn't willing to spend the time to go over the system and find the under lying cause. With the troubles your having loggers may be required to find the cause.

Call around. You may need to use a commercial contractor.
    Contractor locator map

The unichiller is the unit outside that is like a reverse cycle heat pump. The unichiller heats and cools water which is sent to the airhandlers. In 3 years this will be the second replacement of the unit.

Contact Unico again.

It may not help, then again it may.
    One of the Unico guys is a member of this board. You might want to let them know that you are posting your unsatisfactorly sovled problems here. Where thousands of other home owners can read about it.
    Along with a thousand plus contractors.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks, I will do that. Yesterday Unico and the installing company Bryant Heating and Air received notice from my attorney that they should notify him immediately concerning the situation and their intentions to remedy this or we will proceed down the road that none of us should really want to travel. I have detailed information concerning the continual breakdowns and poor peformance of the equipment. This is not the only site where I am spreading the word.

I am willing to believe the equipment has been installed incorrectly and caused all the problems. I guess an "expert" in the field can and will determine this. I just want to be able to move back home and enjoy my home with proper heat and cooling that was promised and I paid for.

Your line says it well! How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast