+ Reply to Thread

Thread: freezer door question

Post Likes

freezer door question

I have a norbec freezer that has leaky door seal and frosting around the door seal. building operator has knocked the frost off the door, but he said it keep coming back. I've told my helper to measure and order new door seal and ofcourse it got messed up.

Lo and behold, when we about to install it I found that the original door seal is magneted, and my helper ordered wasn't magneted, he didn't think it matter. and it was custom made to measure. So, what would happened if a magneted door seal replaced with non magneted? I don't work on freezer that often, at least not fixing door seal/frosting door issue...

just want some input what would happen, I obviously told him to order a new like for like. Btw, he used to work at a supplier, so I kinda made him my parts guy...
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    Is the seal bad actually?
    Is the door heater working ?

3. Likes buford liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ho about a door closer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    Is the seal bad actually?
    Is the door heater working ?

Check the heater.

Post Likes
    I don't think theres door heater. It's a walk in freezer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    I don't think theres door heater. It's a walk in freezer
    every walk in freezer has a door or doorframe heater

8. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok. I'll check that. Thx

Post Likes
    Oh god....if its one thing I dislike doing, its door heaters.
    Have fun with that lol

Yup and ditto...EVERY freezer, whether reach in or walk in, has door frame heaters.
    On your walk in they should go behind the gasket mating surface of the door frame AND under the threshold.
    The threshold, depending on its condition may be the hardest part to remove to access the heater wires so bring your drill, hammer, chisel and patience

Post Likes
    And a 4 leaf clover and rabbits foot. Don't take any shortcuts or you will do the replacement for free.
    Have fun with that lol

Yup and ditto...EVERY freezer, whether reach in or walk in, has door frame heaters.
    On your walk in they should go behind the gasket mating surface of the door frame AND under the threshold.
    The threshold, depending on its condition may be the hardest part to remove to access the heater wires so bring your drill, hammer, chisel and patience

12. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    And a 4 leaf clover and rabbits foot. Don't take any shortcuts or you will do the replacement for free.
    I think the replacement heater should be shipped in the box with a 4 leaf clover n rabbits foot like you said!!!!

Post Likes
    Found out they even wired it in.... lol. Has all the connections but no power. So I was lucky. However I need to replace pressure equalizer heater

Post Likes
    Wait for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Found out they even wired it in.... lol. Has all the connections but no power. So I was lucky. However I need to replace pressure equalizer heater

Post Likes
    Replacing door heaters has always been one of my least favorite things to do in this trade.

17. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aa7483 View Post
    Replacing door heaters has always been one of my least favorite things to do in this trade.
    X2...I'll foam clean a nasty greasy condenser any day than replace door heaters.
    On a McCall reach in I had to drill holes up the top just so I could feed the new wires thru the cabinet

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aa7483 View Post
    Working on freezers period, not exactly my favorite. Worst one was at Ellio's Pizza, -40 blast freezer. Would freeze the snot in your nose within minutes.

Post Likes
    Have fun with that lol

I had to replace a heater for a delivery door which ran under the threshold once. It was as cold outside as it was in the freezer. Man did i ever underestimate that job.

Post Likes
    Had a two door upright freezer with glass doors, pretty sure it was a Hussmann. Door frame heater out. Hussmann didn't have a part number for it, said they buy the whole door frame assembly from Anthony. Anthony didn't have any record of it, so we took all measurements.

Then I was told to 'just' take the molding off and measure the heater. After all, maybe there was a bad electrical to the frame heater. Doors came off, and screws came out of the frame. But there was no way that frame was coming out of the box. It was glued/siliconed in there real good. I was told 'just' do it.

I told my supervisor and store manager okay, I'll take it apart, but no guarantee on what shape it'll be in or if it will ever go back together. And I need it in writing that you understand you might be without a freezer for several weeks while you order a new one.

Got lucky, the powers to be decided to buy a new box.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in