Thread: Using Heat Pump Vs Air Conditioner With Infinity System

Post Likes

Confused Using Heat Pump Vs Air Conditioner With Infinity System

I am considering purchasing a Carrier Infinity system with a 96.6 % MVB variable speed or 95 % MVC Modulator variable speed gas furnace. I am trying to find out which is the better way to go with a heat pump 19 seer or a 21 seer air conditioner. I live 40 miles northwest of Philadelphia. I am trying to find out which I would save the most dollars on for electricity and gas and have good comfort. Both electric rates and gas rates will be going up higher in the next 2 years. I have PP&L electric and PECO gas. Is the heat pump more reliable and less costly overall then the air conditioner? Since the compressor will run more on the heat pump for cold and heat will it wear out sooner? I am replacing a York 12 SEER air conditioner and a York 80% gas furnace that are 12 years old. The evaporator coil has a slow leak and they want $1200 dollars to replace it. I have had several other problems with the Air conditioner and a couple with the furnace over the last 12 years. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision by next week because there are rebates up to $1200 dollar which will expire by 6/30/08.
    Is it better to go with a modulaing 95% or a variable speed 96.6% and combine it with a heat Pump or Air conditioner?
    Thank you

Post Likes
    If you're dealing with a Carrier dealer he should have, on request at least, run the numbers to show you which setup costs what to operate.

If you have all the model numbers and energy information try this to help you figure things out.
    http://sagoro.wrightsoft.com/carrier/default.aspx
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes

Thumbs up heat pump

i would go with v-speed furnace for comfort. if your going to replace your a/c heat pump is the way to go. im in houston we only need heat for 2 to 3 weeks of the year if that your up north. if you dont use you air conditioning system for 3 to 5 months of the year you need a heat pump look at it like this if you leave a car in the drive way for a few months more than likely it will not start. dead battery or flat tier. a heat pump runs all year. as far as the heat well we only sell 80% furnaces down here infinity cva is my choice
    i would go with h/p and v-speed furnace.
    carrier the way to go......

Post Likes
    Sounds like your near me,it some sizes the 19 and 16 are the same.shot me an e-mail and we can get you a GOOD dealer in your area if we cannot help you!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes

The Difference

Their is alittle difference in the 58mvb and 58mvc. The MVC will have tighter swings and better comfort features than MVB. It is also alittle quieter. I would look at 24ANA6 or 24HNA6 seer unit instead of 21 seer. Most of 21 seer ratings are well below 21 seer. So salesman should tell you exactly what the seer and the eer ratings are. Just ask him. Also go with A series coil instead of N-series.
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Thank you. How do I tell if it is an A or and N series coil. The coil he quoted was CNPVP4824ATA WITH A HEAT PUMP 25HNA948A003

Post Likes
    The "N" in CNPVP4824ATA designates an "N" coil, otherwise it would be an "A".

good luck with your decision.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorrs View Post
    ...The coil he quoted was CNPVP4824ATA WITH A HEAT PUMP 25HNA948A003
    That "Infinity 19" combo, depending on the furnace, is 11.6 to 12 EER, 15.5 to 16 SEER, 45,000 btu cooling, 48,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.7 to 8.8 HSPF.

Post Likes

What about A series coil

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    That "Infinity 19" combo, depending on the furnace, is 11.6 to 12 EER, 15.5 to 16 SEER, 45,000 btu cooling, 48,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.7 to 8.8 HSPF.

Hey gary let him know what a A-series coil would be. See if their is any difference.
    Do it right the first time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in