Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok, if it wasn't going to be finnished. I was going to suggest using it as a dump zone. But that won't work for a finnished basement.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Ok, if it wasn't going to be finnished. I was going to suggest using it as a dump zone. But that won't work for a finnished basement.
    My understanding of the plan is to use a bypass damper back to the return duct and the zone controller will slow down the blower when only 1 zone is calling.

Even in first stage, you can only slow the blower so much before the coil will freeze, or the zone systems anti freeze protection shuts the A/C off.

You system in first stage is roughly 80% of full capacity. So a overly small zone will require a large amount of bypass air, cooling the coil more yet.

If you have a zone that is only say, 12,000 BTUs at design temps(or 25% of system total capacity). thats about 800CFM of bypass in first stage.

There are zoning systems that are designed with that in mind, and also help to prevent short cycling from one zone calling 5 minutes after another zone is satisfied.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Even in first stage, you can only slow the blower so much before the coil will freeze, or the zone systems anti freeze protection shuts the A/C off.

You system in first stage is roughly 80% of full capacity. So a overly small zone will require a large amount of bypass air, cooling the coil more yet.

If you have a zone that is only say, 12,000 BTUs at design temps(or 25% of system total capacity). thats about 800CFM of bypass in first stage.

There are zoning systems that are designed with that in mind, and also help to prevent short cycling from one zone calling 5 minutes after another zone is satisfied.
    I'm pretty sure they are using the Nordyne panel with a supply temp sensor and some sort of "modudamper" that controls the bypass based on the blower speed and zones calling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12