Thread: Central A/C startup sometimes trips breaker

Post Likes

Central A/C startup sometimes trips breaker

I have 10 year old central A/C (Lennox), but have lived in house only 2 summers. Last summer A/C ran fine. Twice this summer within the past 10 days I found the A/C circuit breaker in the service panel had tripped. So things were OK for 10 days after first tripping of breaker was reset. Service tech found no problems in pre-season check-up. Any guess as to whether this behavior indicates compressor problem vs. circuit breaker problem?

Post Likes
    Nope. Could be either.

Did tech top off charge during preseason check.

Call and have them check yoour system before it becomes more serious, and does additional damage to your system.

Post Likes
    Breaker could be to small the condenser should say what size breaker it needs

Post Likes
    One way to find out. Breakers are not that expensive and easy to replace. If the new one tripps then you know you need to have an HVAC company take care of it and you can always return the breaker.

I have had breakers fail before, but I also had one that keept tripping because when they ran the pool lights they left the connection box halfway above ground and every time it rained water would get into the box and trip the breaker.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by optomos View Post
    One way to find out. Breakers are not that expensive and easy to replace. If the new one tripps then you know you need to have an HVAC company take care of it and you can always return the breaker.
    Thats a great way to put more acid in the system and risk higher cost for system clean up to protect a new unit.

Post Likes

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by optomos View Post

I have had breakers fail before, but I also had one that keept tripping because when they ran the pool lights they left the connection box halfway above ground and every time it rained water would get into the box and trip the breaker.
    I dont know anywhere that would take a previously installed breaker back....

Call an hvac company...a good one that you can trust....lol

It could be a lot of things.......might need a hard start on that old rust bucket....or might be ready to send that 10 year old system to the scap pile....

It could be a weak breaker.....but Id let someone knowledgeable fiqure it out for you.

anyhow....... I dont know anywhere that will take a breaker back thats been installed.......and if it is the breaker you are going to want someone to replace that knows what they are doing....let them check the wire size to make sure the breaker size is correct....make sure the wire and breaker are correct for the unit....

Its a little more complex than just replacing components till it works..... get someone knowledgeable out there that you can trust.

Call friends, family, church folks...co workers..... and find an hvac person who seems to have done good work for them in the past.....

Ya know.... the whole point of not answering questions to homeowners in the res section is usually veiled under the "we dont want anyone to get hurt" excuse..... I think the reply by optomos should be stricken from the thread because of the misinformation presented by him....

Sending a person into their panel is dangerous....not as easy as optomos has pointed out......and when the person goes to take that electrical part back to the point of purchase....and they refuse to take it back....... that just gives the whole hvac biz another shot in the back.......

Post Likes

I'm not going to mess with the service panel

I'm not going to mess with the service panel. My main thrust here was to get a feeling for whether, since this has only occurred twice, I should wait and see if it continues, or should go ahead and have a pro look into it.

Post Likes
    Might want it checked before it gives out during a heat wave.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronml View Post
    I'm not going to mess with the service panel. My main thrust here was to get a feeling for whether, since this has only occurred twice, I should wait and see if it continues, or should go ahead and have a pro look into it.
    It will likely continue. In my experience, most mechnical/electrical problems don't just "go away on their own". They're just components, they don't have any intelligence to heal or correct themselves.

Head it off at the pass by getting some expert eyes on board.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in