Hybrid View

Heat pump or a/c unit on long island ny

I currently will be purchasing a home on long island ny. It has a brand new 2 stage 80% natural gas hot air sytem. I guess they didnt go for a 90% unit since they would be moving. My plan is to add an a/c unit for central air. I am wondering if i should go for a heatpump instead? I know this has been asked numerous times, but i am looking for some opinions.BTW i will be doing the install myself(I have much experiance in all phases of building and plumbing, but i am not an hvac expert) Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    I currently will be purchasing a home on long island ny. It has a brand new 2 stage 80% natural gas hot air sytem. I guess they didnt go for a 90% unit since they would be moving. My plan is to add an a/c unit for central air. I am wondering if i should go for a heatpump instead? I know this has been asked numerous times, but i am looking for some opinions.BTW i will be doing the install myself(I have much experiance in all phases of building and plumbing, but i am not an hvac expert) Thanks
    There isn't much price difference between a normal a/c and a heat pump if your indoor evaporator coil is compatable. Heat pumps are almost extra ciricular where I live, but may be a good option for you. If you do go with a heat pump make sure they install an outdoor sensor that is adjustable. This will allow the heat pump to operate to a certain ambient setpoint, then you will switch to your backup heat. This outdoor sensor setting will vary between energy prices, defrost frequency and also to maintain comfort.

The breaking point for most around here is 35*.

If your electric rates are reasonable, I would go for a heat pump with a control that can switchover to gas heat at a certain temperature. Then the 80% furnace would make sense as it will be used as backup. Make sure you get a matching heat pump coil inside.