Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Frown Homeowner in need of technical advice

Hi,

I recently purchased a newly constructed home in Bergen county NJ and am having nothing but problems with my entire HVAC system (heat and cool). I have a split gas forced hot air funance / AC with one unit installed in my attic serving my second floor (3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms) and the second unit installed in my basement serving my basement and first floor (kitchen, dining room / living room, family room and half a bathroom).

My issue in the winter months is that the temps in each of my bedrooms differs greatly. The thermostat is installed in the hallway and can be set to 74 degrees but my master bedroom will be 78 degrees while my daughter room is only 69-70 degrees. When I questioned the HVAC technician who installed the unit he said that this is normal behavior.

My issue in the summer is two fold. In this I mean, my second floor unit is now set to cool to 75 degrees but the bedroom reach this temp way before the therostat which in turn caused my bedrooms to get really cool and force my unit to run all day. Another thing that I noticed is that it takes several hours to cool my house a couple of degrees. The other issue is that my first floor unit is not cooling at all. My HVAC tech has been out over half a dozen times and each time he leaves stating everything has been fixed but once I get home and turn on the unit.... NOTHING!

I know this is a long post but I would love if someone could tell me if the following is true;

Is is true that it takes a fully operational HVAC unit one hour to cool a home one degree (i.e. If the house is 80 degrees and I would like it cooled to 74 degrees it should take the unit 6 hours of continuous running to reach this temp.)?

Is it normal to have dramatic temp shifts in each bedroom during the winter months?

Any information or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

This can be correct

The reason you have different temperatures in different rooms could be a couple of factors causing problem. Is the proper air flow comming through register or does room have greater heat loss/ heat gain than other rooms.( windows, insulation which way it is facing, sky lights etc.. You can get someone to come in and balance air flow.
    Secondly air conditioning can be a slow process due to the amout of moisture
    and heat load put on the house. you should always give your air conditioner the proper amout of time to cool house. Keep blind closed and start a/c 2 or more hour before you get home. you can also turn a/c on and set to higher temperatures until 2 hour before you get home for proper comfort.
    Do it right the first time.

and the fact that he bought a big box house.

Depending on the outdoor temp, 80 to 74 could be 2 hours or 5 hours.
    Sounds like you having balancing issues with your second floor for the heating temp variations.

Sounds like you need a new tech to look at your systems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Unhappy Pandora's box

Quote Originally Posted by CoquiLostInNY View Post
    Hi,

I recently purchased a newly constructed home in Bergen county NJ and am having nothing but problems with my entire HVAC system (heat and cool). I have a split gas forced hot air furnace / AC with one unit installed in my attic serving my second floor (3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms) and the second unit installed in my basement serving my basement and first floor (kitchen, dining room / living room, family room and half a bathroom).

When I questioned the HVAC technician who installed the unit he said that this is normal behavior

Is it normal to have dramatic temp shifts in each bedroom during the winter months?

Any information or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like you need some technical information followed up by much more Legal Advice.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Just out of curiousity what kind of square footage are you talking about?? I mean my house has three bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs and I only have one system running my entire home......again, just curious.
    I need a new signature.....

Frown

I have tried turning on my unit a couple of hours before getting home but that really hasn't helped much because it's taking longer than two hours to get to a comfortable temp. I'll request that the tech balance the system but honestly I know I'm in for a fight because I've asked him time and time again to perform this task to no avail.

Question for the pro's out there. Is there a certain amount of air that suppose to come out of each register? When I put my hand next to each of the vents I barely feel anything coming out, especially in during AC usage. Another question, should their be a register supplying cool/hot air in my hallway where my therostat is located?

Frown

I_Bend_Metal,

I estimate the square footage to be around the following;

Basement - 500sq ft (laundry area / family room)
    First Floor - 750sq ft (kitchen, powder room, dining / living room)
    Second Floor - 750 sq ft (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms)

The basement and first floor are serviced by the unit in the basement (please note the basement barely gets any heat from this unit) and the second floor is serviced by the unit in the attic.

Thanks again for all the advice!

more air is better

. Is there a certain amount of air that suppose to come out of each register? When I put my hand next to each of the vents I barely feel anything coming out, especially in during AC usage. Another question, should their be a register supplying cool/hot air in my hallway where my therostat is located?

Yes you do want go air flow coming out of register, could be long run or to small but you will need some good air flow to cool the room. Still keep blinds closed as much as you can. Keep door closed or densities fall into place and cold air ends up on main floor. There should only be return grill by thermostat
    and no supply. Try running fan continuisly to help temp swings.

I have tried turning on my unit a couple of hours before getting home but that really hasn't helped much because it's taking longer than two hours to get to a comfortable temp. I'll request that the tech balance the system but honestly I know I'm in for a fight because I've asked him time and time again to perform this task to no avail.

One thing you need to think about....instead of turning your thermostats down so far, maybe leave them alone. If it is taking 5 or 6 hours to bring the temperature back down to your setpoint, do you think it might be better to just let the unit maintain a specific temperature? They might not run as long to keep up with a temperature as they will to catch up to a temperature.

Question for the pro's out there. Is there a certain amount of air that suppose to come out of each register? When I put my hand next to each of the vents I barely feel anything coming out, especially in during AC usage. Another question, should their be a register supplying cool/hot air in my hallway where my therostat is located?

I am going to guess that your basment unit is using metal ductwork and your attic unit is using (soft) or flexible ductwork?? I think at this point you may need to call out a new company to take a look at things. Tell them exactly what you have told us. They need to take a look in that attic and make sure none of the ductwork is restricted or crushed.

Is the company you have coming out now the same company that installed the units???
    I need a new signature.....

is the stat near the stairwell and being affected by the draft from down stairs
    i always put the stat in the master bedroom to avoid this same problem then balance the system to within 1 degree of the master bedroom
    you need a tech that can tell you what needs to be done to fix your concerns

Check you duct runs and see if there are dampers on all or some of the duct runs, could be that some of them are closed off too much which is the reason you do not have proper air flow on the one you said have barely any air flow. Another thing to check is the location of your T-stat as one pointed out it should not be over a heating/ac duct but should be near a cold air return. How many cold air return do you have in your home and what size are they? Is all your duct work sealed of and insulated ? If not that should be one of the next things to do/have done. What size are the bedrooms, family room, kitchen, ect... If there over 100 sq ft. you should have more than one register depending on size of course, but if there no bigger than 6" ducts and over 100 sq ft. you should have 2 regsiters per room. These are some things you can check out yourself prior to having someone come out to your home. Also it would be a good idea to set your t-stat and leave it and turn your fan to the on position to circulate the air in your home as well as filter it will help with the tempurture swings you are having. Do alittle investigating and see what you found out, as being a homeowner you should know what you have in your home as far as equipment and how things work, it's part of home ownership !!!

You have 2 furnaces

[QUOTE=CoquiLostInNY;1871054

You mean you have 2 furnaces in a 1400 Sq' house and he can't get it right.
    I thought 1 furnace in 1500 to 1700sq'. How old r furnaces. I am floored why he can't get it right. Tell him to get hooked up here and guys would love to help for small fee. I can't s why he is having such a hard time.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast