Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the replys.
    I think I will go ahead and move to Fluke. Mabey get the UEI DT200 warrantied and eBay it. I wished Fluke 902 had the dual display like the UEI DL389 I have now, and I especially like the magnet on the back of the UEI, but it has caused me some unnecessary problems:
    1. The test leads that come with the meter are crap, (even though they do snap neatly into the back of the meter), on my third set in under two years. First bad set led me to wrongly replace a good control transformer.
    2. Reading 300 something volts on a large condenser actually running about 490; would have looked like a real dumb ass if I had called power company without checking with another meter.
    3. Shows 35 amps while reading two 20amp heat strips together. Another meter read 40 like it should have. Both problems corrected by replacing battery when low battery indicator was not on.

So I guess I will sacrifice my magnet and dual display, and get a Fluke before the UEI waste any more of my time or kills me.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed

true rms???

engineman... your incorrect readings sound like dirty voltage read with an averaging meter. you need a true rms meter for capacitive loads

Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    engineman... your incorrect readings sound like dirty voltage read with an averaging meter. you need a true rms meter for capacitive loads
    The DL389 I use is True RMS (or claims to be). Not sure what you are referring to as a capacitive load. The bad current reading was two 5Kw heat strips measured together at 35 amps, but reading 20 amps on each strip. This would be resistive load with a unity power factor, so two strips at 20 a piece should be 40 together. The condenser voltage reading was a line voltage reading on an inductive load with no power factor correction capacitors or VFD's or anything like that. Replaced batteries and later measured a correct voltage on same condenser.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineman1 View Post
    Thanks for the replys.
    I think I will go ahead and move to Fluke. Mabey get the UEI DT200 warrantied and eBay it. I wished Fluke 902 had the dual display like the UEI DL389 I have now, and I especially like the magnet on the back of the UEI, but it has caused me some unnecessary problems:
    1. The test leads that come with the meter are crap, (even though they do snap neatly into the back of the meter), on my third set in under two years. First bad set led me to wrongly replace a good control transformer.
    2. Reading 300 something volts on a large condenser actually running about 490; would have looked like a real dumb ass if I had called power company without checking with another meter.
    3. Shows 35 amps while reading two 20amp heat strips together. Another meter read 40 like it should have. Both problems corrected by replacing battery when low battery indicator was not on.

So I guess I will sacrifice my magnet and dual display, and get a Fluke before the UEI waste any more of my time or kills me.
    The dual display and magnet are a nice touch, but since i got my 902 clamp i dont really miss it. Its not worth stayin with a crappy meter lol.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

Talking To further confuse the issue. . .

A meter with an accuracy of +/-0.1% is hooked up to something, and it reads "100.00". What is the True Value (TV) of what you're measuring?

0.1% of 100.00 = 0.10.

The chance of the TV being above 100.00 is the same as the chance of the TV being below 100.00: 50%.

The chance of the TV being between 100.1 and 99.9 is ~95% (+/- two sigma).

The chance of the TV being between 100.05 and 99.95 is ~68% (+/- one sigma).

The chance of the TV actually being 100.00 is virtually zero, but it could happen.

Glad you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineman1 View Post
    with as much hype as Fluke gets, they only give a 3 yr warranty verses 5 for UEI. Can't decide what to do????
    I can take a crap in a carboard box and give you a lifetime warrany on it. That doesn't change the fact it it's still a box full of crap.

I can't remember where the quote came from but it's still funny.

I do have a UEI manometer in my kit and it works well but the cover on the battery comparrtment broke after replacing the battery only 2 times.

I have a fluke 52 that I've been using for over 20 years.
    It still works as well as the day I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    I can take a crap in a carboard box and give you a lifetime warrany on it. That doesn't change the fact it it's still a box full of crap.

I can't remember where the quote came from but it's still funny.

I do have a UEI manometer in my kit and it works well but the cover on the battery comparrtment broke after replacing the battery only 2 times.

I have a fluke 52 that I've been using for over 20 years.
    It still works as well as the day I bought it.
    Thay quote was from tommy boy, great movie
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12