Evaporator Coil Replacement

I have a 3 ton, 10 SEER 15 year old Carrier Model#:FB4ANF036 heat pump. I was told that the evaporator coil had a leak and could not be repaired or replaced due to an industry shift toward 12 SEER and higher units and was recommended to replace the entire heat pump system. Does seem to be sound advice or is there a possibility of coil replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by justin7217 View Post
    I have a 3 ton, 10 SEER 15 year old Carrier Model#:FB4ANF036 heat pump. I was told that the evaporator coil had a leak and could not be repaired or replaced due to an industry shift toward 12 SEER and higher units and was recommended to replace the entire heat pump system. Does seem to be sound advice or is there a possibility of coil replacement?
    15 years old? Replace it.
    Yes you have to buy at least a 13 seer unit now, Yes they could probable hack something in there for you or get a coil manufactered but it is time for a new system at 15 years. Sounds sound in my opinion

13 seer,

This is absolutely sound advice. Not only with government changes on SEER ratings but also on refrigerants. In about 18 months manufacturers will no longer be allowed to make units that run with R22(freon). Your only option, in my opinion 10+yrs, is to replace the system.

That sounds like solid advice. The number you listed is an air handler that has the leaking coil in it. The coil may not be availible and if it is availible it may be in your best intrest to consider the new system. I would check with a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer to be certian. Even if it is in your best intrest to replace the system, YOU deserve the right to make the choice.
    The first man gets the pearl, All the second gets is the shell