Thread: correct tonnage

correct tonnage

1800 sq feet Cape located in New Jersey. The house is 50 years old. The wall insulation is (I am guessing) original. I am planning to insulate the attic as per today’s standards. The first floor has 8 feet ceilings and the second floor is 7 feet. What should be my tonnage for this home?

Quote Originally Posted by MrClueless View Post
    1800 sq feet Cape located in New Jersey. The house is 50 years old. The wall insulation is (I am guessing) original. I am planning to insulate the attic as per today’s standards. The first floor has 8 feet ceilings and the second floor is 7 feet. What should be my tonnage for this home?
    I love the name...
    To do it correctly you can get a pro in your home to go over where the sun hits, Windows in rooms and doors etc. With the proper software, Here you will only get a rule of thumb basic guess.

I got it! Give me "rule of thumb basic guess".

1800sq ft. I would guess no more than 2-1/2 ton, closer to 2 ton but it all depends on the amount of glass you have and where the windows are located in your home especially on the south and west side of the home, but being a Cape Cod design you probably don't have many windows facing West or south if the back of the home faces this direction and if that is the case I would bet on a 2 ton AC as long as the home has fairly decent insulation.

Some where between 2 and 4 tons.

Estimates are frre, and they can do a load calc and know for sure what size.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?