Thread: Rheem - American Standard - Carrier - Time to decide, Help

Post Likes

Rheem - American Standard - Carrier - Time to decide, Help

I have read enough that I know everyone stated that its all about the installer. I have what I consider to be three equally good installers. All have been in business over 25 years, came off as very professional, quotes are all within a few hunderd dollars of each other, & listoned to what I was looking for.

So the last thing it comes down to is the brand of the unit. I am sure that all the brands are good but I am retired with a fixed income and want most dependable unit.

All units are 2 ton with 410, new fixed lines, and include the Honeywell 8000.
    Its really hard to read these guys writing

Carrier:
    K7CEH3001-15 (13 seer)
    7V4BN4002 [air han]
    25HCIA [cond unit]
    15Kw auxillary heat

American Standard:
    4A6H4024A1000A
    4TEE3F31
    10Kw auxillary heat

Reem:
    RPNL-024JEZ
    RHLL-HM2417JA
    RXBH-17A10J

So do these units match well?
    Does any one stand out as a better value?
    Of course each install states that their unit is the best over all the others and I sure all are good but my final decision will be based on the experts here.

Thanks

Post Likes
    You're comparing good systems; however, the Rheem air handler is not variable speed while the others are--so you're not necessarily comparing like systems. The Carrier setup uses 15 kW of auxiliary heat while the others use 10 kW of auxiliary heat. What did you have before? I hope the Carrier contractor intends to provide the extra amperage at the unit if it is needed (60 amps vs. 90 amps needed for 15 kW). Which company impressed you the most? Your Carrier numbers are off a bit (I guess they were hard to read). They should be KFCEH3001F15, FV4BNF002, and 25HCA324 (if Comfort 13).

Here are the efficiency ratings of each setup:

Carrier: 11.7 EER, 14.5 SEER, 8.5 HSPF
    American Standard: 11.5 EER, 14.0 SEER, 7.8 HSPF (Note: I only found match-ups with the 4A6H4024B1000A--they may have discontinued/stopped rating the *A1000A.)
    Rheem: 12.0 EER, 14.0 SEER, 8.9 HSPF (Note: I would ask for the variable-speed blower--model RHKL-HM2417. This would give 11.6 EER, 14.0 SEER, 9.2 HSPF.)

I'll let others influence the brand selection, but ultimately it should come down to the better contractor and the performance ratings above.

Post Likes
    I has an old, old old York ac with an electric furnace in the attic, pretty sure the electric feed in the attic is enough (2 100amp joined breakers).

The RHLL-HM2417JA was an upgrade from the RHSL-HM2417JA (I believe), though it was a var-speed. Will have to see about that. The 10Kw versus 15Kw came about from the Carrier guy suggesting 15Kw. I may be wrong but I assume going to 15Kw on all systems is a small increase in price, which I will do.

The Rheem guy - VERY professional, only one that on his own wanted to replase the lines instead of flush them. Suggested an Aprilaire M# 2200 filter. Also quoted:
    RPRL-024JEZ
    RHPL-HM2421JA
    RXBH-24A10j
    but this was a serious increase by about 55% more - and I don't believe I need a 2 stage HP.

Post Likes
    The RHLL is an upgrade as it has a very efficiency X13 motor, but it is not variable speed. The RHKL-HM2417 would be the variable-speed air handler. 15 kW sounds hefty for a 2-ton system, but it's better to have too much than too little.

Post Likes
    Twilli says Coleman, if not Rheem
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    I will go hungry but I will not be cold, thats why the 15Kw.

Is the var-speed worth it? Since what I had is over 25 years old I have no point of reference on this.

Post Likes
    The RHLL is still a good, popular air handler. I just checkd the specifications from Rheem and it looks like it has the capability at running at 50% speed for constant fan, so that's a plus in my opinion. The RHLL should be able to run at a lower speed then for constant fan and even out the temperatures and circulate and filter the air. It doesn't vary its speed like a variable-speed could but should do very well. I would get the price difference and see if it's worth it to you.

Post Likes
    Ryan, what's the heat output diff between them? Is A-S low as usual? That HSPF sure is pathetic.

Post Likes
    Carrier: 23,200 btu cooling / 23,200 btu heating
    A/S: 24,400 btu cooling / 21,400 btuh heating (yep, a bit lower than the other two)
    Rheem: 23,600 btu cooling / 22, 400 btu heating

Post Likes
    loonie, you never miss an opportunity to trane hate if the op wants the extra heat he can get the 4teh3f24b1000a which brings it closer.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    loonie, you never miss an opportunity to trane hate if the op wants the extra heat he can get the 4teh3f24b1000a which brings it closer.
    That would make it even lower at 20,800 btu's, and he'd lose the variable-speed blower. I'd stick with the 4TEE3F31B1000A if he went the A/S route. My opinion.

Post Likes
    Just pretty sad what became of the premier heat pump, the GE WeatherTrons of late. Lousy HSPF, low heat outputs. But they are easy to sell and so many think they are the only brand worth buying. 20,800 BTU from a "2 ton" heat pump isn't that hot. Oh, no pun intended!

Post Likes

Thank to all - I have decided on system & company.

I would like all repliers to my post. Here is what I am going with:

The company (installer) came off as the most professional, been in business for 30 years.

Rheem:
    RHNL-024JEZ
    RHLL-HM2417JA
    RXBH-17A10J

with
    Aprilaire M2200
    Honeywell 8000

Included is new hard lines, new pad, aux drain pan w/safety switch.

I am going to open up the one section of the interior wall where the old hard lines run for the new lines. Sheetrock is cheap and easy.

Again thanks for replies.

Post Likes
    Be sure to post some pictures of everything once it's completed if you can. Nice system. That should be the RPNL-024JEZ, though, I think.

Post Likes
    "RyanHughes "

You are correct its a RPNL-024JEZ - a miss typed by me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in