Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trane discontinueing side vent

Post Likes

Cool trane discontinueing side vent

I was told that trane was getting rid of the XL14 and that the 15 was next and that the side vent was also a problem for units that are boxed in ( near house in a corner...)

opinions??

I am trying to decide betweeen Trane, York and lennox and the 2 contractors are pushing back and forth with reasons

Unit:
    split 4 ton HP with 95% propane furnace

Post Likes
    Go with the Trane. You can't go wrong with it. I installed the 16i in my personal home and love it. I deal with trane on a daily basis and have heard nothing about problems with the side vent or discontinuing of the 14i. From someone who works on this stuff everyday. I see far less tranes than anything else. i feel that lennox has dropped off in quality in the past few yrs. I've seen a lot of issues with the high pressure switch on the 410 systems. As for york....I wouldnt put that in a crack house.

Post Likes
    Funny. I've repped Carrier, Trane, and York. Can't say that any of them have higher failure rates than the others.

RLEE... it's quite obvious that you've not been around the Affinity product by York. It is the absolute quietest product on the market.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    I believe the R22 version of the 14 is being discontinued. Gonna happen to all R22 units in about another 18 months.
    The side vent is a problem for some installations. There is a work around for it.

If the guy telling you this is the Trane guy, he's being very honest.
    If its any of the othe guys, brand bashing to make a sell is a poor salesmans tactic.

Post Likes
    A homeowner won't care how quiet it is if they are always having to call someone to fix it ! Last time i checked the Lennox XP 15 was the quietest. But If you wont to help someone make a poor choice then thats on you!

Post Likes
    Most people would post a sound rating to back up heir opinion.
    Sound whats the sound rating of the Lennox 15.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-17-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Post Likes
    63 dB's if you want to know that bad. But i dont know why you avoided the reliability issue. A homeowner will not care how quiet something is if it's not operating. But i guess if you look at it that way then you are right. The york would be the quietest
    Last edited by RLEE2344; 06-18-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added information

Post Likes
    Tran is dropping the 14i because it is at the bottom of efficiency levels,similar to the XB13, so the xl15i will be the lowest end XL series offered, nothing wrong with the 14i, just a change in the XL line, they are still good units for as long as they are available. All of the XL line will still have the weatherguard top as far as I have heard. The XB line does not have the top.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RLEE2344 View Post
    63 dB's if you want to know that bad. But i dont know why you avoided the reliability issue. A homeowner will not care how quiet something is if it's not operating. But i guess if you look at it that way then you are right. The york would be the quietest
    Well, Reliability issue.

There are several post right now about Tranes not working right. Guess thats reliability.

There have been many post about trouble with 16i's, and of course the early days of the 19i with its oil during defrost. Yep, thats reliability.

Maybe you want to define what you consider reliable. And not just the old, well I fix more X brand then I do Y brand garbage.

Post Likes
    Number 1 reason for equipment failure is improper installation and under qualified techs. I can count on one hand the problems i have encountered with trane. The 16i that i put in my own home is flawless. Anyone i have ever installed a XL series system has been more than happy. I have a local york contractor in my town...and i have been behind him on many problems. Some installation error and other factory defects. Now i understand that many manufactuers use the same parts such as contactors and run caps and such. But the actual casing on york is embarrassingly flimsy. And if you have to put "team logo's" on side panels to sell your product then your reaching pretty far to make a sale. Who would pay for that anyway? 99% of people try to hide their condensing unit, not show it off. Come on...they think people are going to put these in their front yard???

Post Likes
    Number 1 reason for equipment failure is improper installation and under qualified techs.

BINGO, its not teh stupid brand name that counts.

I have a local york contractor in my town...and i have been behind him on many problems.

Vast majority are install problems, not the brand. And the defective parts may be the ones he burnt up/overloaded.

Who would pay for that anyway? 99% of people try to hide their condensing unit, not show it off. Come on...they think people are going to put these in their front yard???

Actually did sell a couple of the color panels. They help to hide the unit when customers choose the color panels.

You didn't install any of the early 19i heat pumps then, huh.

Tranes ok, its not the most reliable.

Post Likes
    you can say what you want but look at any research done on mechanical eqipment and you will find that trane is on top. the only thing with the trane name that was garbage was the water source systems and they out sourced those to another company and quickly stopped production. But im sure you may be one of those that checks a charge with that 5 appendage temp probe at the end of your right arm. so there is no point in arguing. I bet you can fix anything with a box full of potential relays and some "freon" right? As for selling the logo panels to hide the unit??? Are you serious. why dont you just paint it bright pink and put some go kart flags on all 4 corners and you might draw the same amount of attention to it

Post Likes
    you can say what you want but look at any research done on mechanical eqipment and you will find that trane is on top. the only thing with the trane name that was garbage was the water source systems and they out sourced those to another company and quickly stopped production. But im sure you may be one of those that checks a charge with that 5 appendage temp probe at the end of your right arm. so there is no point in arguing. I bet you can fix anything with a box full of potential relays and some "freon" right?
    Do I sense a little bit of hostility????

Freon fixes everything....didn't you know that?

And if you can't get it fixed with freon, add a little refrigerant and it'll come right on up to par.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    No hostility....Just having a little fun . I have also learned that if putting "freon" in it wont work you can always add some dye to it and blame it on the defrost control. even if its a straight A/C. I learned that from a guy i worked with in the past. Let me tell you how good he was. The guy didnt even own a meter....his guages were frankenstien made ...............manifold in the garbage here ... spare guage there...found some hoses over there. Quality baby....quality!! And in all seriousness..... I give you the upmost respect for serving this country. i got many friends who have been and some still there.

Post Likes
    Well I have been. twice.

And don't need to go back. But I would if they'd let me.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    you can say what you want but look at any research done on mechanical eqipment and you will find that trane is on top. the only thing with the trane name that was garbage was the water source systems and they out sourced those to another company and quickly stopped production. But im sure you may be one of those that checks a charge with that 5 appendage temp probe at the end of your right arm. so there is no point in arguing. I bet you can fix anything with a box full of potential relays and some "freon" right? As for selling the logo panels to hide the unit??? Are you serious. why dont you just paint it bright pink and put some go kart flags on all 4 corners and you might draw the same amount of attention to it
    I see you are one of the Tranewashed.

I learned how to charge and check charge with SH, and SC before you knew what they were.

Its terrible someone pointing out that Trane isn't any better then another brand.

Freon is a Dupont trade name. I use refrigerants when they are needed.
    Weather it be R12,134A,404A,414A,416B,409A,408A,407C,410A,500, or 502.
    I'm not stuck on a brand name.

Now go find a Trane XL1500 to look at.
    A system before its time.

Don't recall seeing any pink houses. So painting one pink wouldn't work.

Post Likes
    I did get a buddy of mine to get me a Camel Bak.. "mule". some guys laugh and call me a ninja turtle but the laughter stops up on a roof top @ 110 degrees and im happily hydrated!

Post Likes
    i have to admit you have impressed me. Most of the "old timers" i come across refer to freon as any refrigerant in any system. As for sc/sh..thats impressive as well. I was once told that i didnt need to do "all that garbage" all i needed to do was "feel for the rat" whatever that means.

Post Likes
    Not my fault you only knew bad old timers.

Post Likes
    I was once given the oppurtunity to work with an old timer who knows this business upside down and backwards. In my opinion the smartest man i have ever met in the biz. i was fortunate to be able to work for him once i graduated tech school. If you mentioned the word "freon" you had better have a dupont drum in your hand or a run cap would soon come flyin by. i was taught the same in tech school. My favorite term is when some refer to a part being "bad" My response to that is take it out and spank it and put it back. otherwise tell me whats wrong with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in