Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Twilli has reviews on Angie's List
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilli thinks you may need license in Tn, Twilli had uncle in business in Chatanooga

If you happen to live in a state that requires licensing, yes.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli thinks you may need license in Tn, Twilli had uncle in business in Chatanooga
    Yup, so how do you look up to see if someone is current?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you happen to live in a state that requires licensing, yes.
    What would the organization/state office be that retains that info? I thought it might be online if I could find the right web site. Again shophound, it appears I have found a rabbit trail to bound down.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Let's stay focused for the moment...the moniker of "WorryWart" is becoming way too appopriate.

When you did Bill's experiment of shutting down the outside unit but allowing the indoor blower to run, did the noise complaint you have go away, or did it remain?

If it remained, it's an airflow issue. If your ducts are all metal, and all of them are externally insulated, the inside surfaces of the ducts are hard and are transmitting the blower noise all over the house.

I just learned that your old system was a gas furnace. Gas furnaces typically are not as loud as air handlers. With a gas furnace, the blower is on the bottom, then there's a heat exchanger, then there's an A coil for cooling the air in summer. Above that is a plenum, where the air then goes to all the ducts. With a gas furnace, the air patterns are much more baffled coming off the system due to this chain of components.

With your heat pump air handler, the cooling coil is on the bottom, and the blower is above it. Past that there is not much in the way to baffle the blower noise.

To serve as an example, my own house has a gas furnace, with cooling coil on top, and a sheet metal plenum that goes into the attic, where round sheet metal ducts take the air to all the supply vents in the house. I do not have obnoxious sounds coming out of my supply vents. A quiet rush of air, far from annoying or distracting. The loudest part of the system is at the return, and even there it is tolerable.

Your other installation concerns raised by my colleagues here are valid. That being said, to correct your original complaint, you may be in for additional modifications to your duct system, since you now have a different type of equipment moving the air.
    One last question about the heat pump operation. Is it normal to hear the startup sounds (kind of like a car engine trying to engage) for several seconds before the blower starts up?

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Hey Cap, if the pump is working properly, and is equipped with a float switch, what is the source of the water issue? Won't condensate fill the trap and eventually flow out (down) to the pump in any case? Please explain.

AM
    Don't know if it's been answered.

The coil on the airhandler is a pull through coil on the return side, without the trap it sucks air back through the system and the water doesn't want to flow out. The trap prevents that.
    You should have traps on coils on the positive side also(not required). They drain but blow a lot of conditioned air out the pipe, Beenthere described it the best.. it's like drilling a 3/4" hole in your plenum and not sealing it up.

I've seen non trapped airhandlers leak water over the coil pan soon after startup.

Twilli thinks call county office on Monday

Twilli found this but you may be out of luck...

http://www.state.tn.us/commerce/boar...ors/index.html

Twilli, I apologize in advance for my ignorance (which I'm sure won't surprise you, haha)....but county office of what?

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    One last question about the heat pump operation. Is it normal to hear the startup sounds (kind of like a car engine trying to engage) for several seconds before the blower starts up?
    The pump will come on first after a short delay the indoor blower will start. normal

I'm not sure if it should sound like a car starting though

Twilli meant your county to find out about any type of inspection dept, they may or may not have or who you file a consumer complaint with if the contractor doesn't make things right.

Also check with state as you may be able to file a compalint with the attorney general in your state.

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli meant your county to find out about any type of inspection dept, they may or may not have or who you file a consumer complaint with if the contractor doesn't make things right.

Also check with state as you may be able to file a compalint with the attorney general in your state.
    That was nearly first person. You're slipping or drinking.

I'm glad you don't talk in third person on the phone.

That would've been too weird.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast