Help! I am in serious trouble! - Page 16
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 208 of 303
  1. #196
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Let's stay focused for the moment...the moniker of "WorryWart" is becoming way too appopriate.

    When you did Bill's experiment of shutting down the outside unit but allowing the indoor blower to run, did the noise complaint you have go away, or did it remain?

    If it remained, it's an airflow issue. If your ducts are all metal, and all of them are externally insulated, the inside surfaces of the ducts are hard and are transmitting the blower noise all over the house.

    I just learned that your old system was a gas furnace. Gas furnaces typically are not as loud as air handlers. With a gas furnace, the blower is on the bottom, then there's a heat exchanger, then there's an A coil for cooling the air in summer. Above that is a plenum, where the air then goes to all the ducts. With a gas furnace, the air patterns are much more baffled coming off the system due to this chain of components.

    With your heat pump air handler, the cooling coil is on the bottom, and the blower is above it. Past that there is not much in the way to baffle the blower noise.

    To serve as an example, my own house has a gas furnace, with cooling coil on top, and a sheet metal plenum that goes into the attic, where round sheet metal ducts take the air to all the supply vents in the house. I do not have obnoxious sounds coming out of my supply vents. A quiet rush of air, far from annoying or distracting. The loudest part of the system is at the return, and even there it is tolerable.

    Your other installation concerns raised by my colleagues here are valid. That being said, to correct your original complaint, you may be in for additional modifications to your duct system, since you now have a different type of equipment moving the air.
    So the droning noise that echos through the house (in addition to the air noise at vents) may be an issue of changing to a heat pump? Hmmmmm....wish I'd known that before I traded in the old A/C and furnace combo!

  2. #197
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    PS--As near as I could tell, the droning did not go away. It sounds like a pretty loud reverb....kind of like a washing machine. The kind of sound the gets on your last nerve.

  3. #198
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    11,273
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    So the droning noise that echos through the house (in addition to the air noise at vents) may be an issue of changing to a heat pump? Hmmmmm....wish I'd known that before I traded in the old A/C and furnace combo!
    That is what I am saying. If I were your contractor I would've told you that up front. But not all folks in my trade are as aware of how the equipment they sell behaves. Selling it is primarily the interest, sadly. I had to learn these things first hand...all one has to do is push themselves past the "beer-thirty" mentality and then they begin seeing things once so easily overlooked or not bothered with.

    The primary objective of air conditioning is human comfort. You may be cool and dry in your home, but if the system is noisy, you are not comfortable. The primary objective has not been met. Until all that criteria is in place, you will not be happy.

  4. #199
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    >Let's stay focused for the moment...the moniker of "WorryWart" is becoming way too >appopriate.

    I'll agree with you there. I had my suspicions, then the operational problems, then the feedback about the obviously bad install....I just have the nailbiting feeling that I have just flushed money I didn't have down the drain. Egads!

  5. #200
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    That is what I am saying. If I were your contractor I would've told you that up front. But not all folks in my trade are as aware of how the equipment they sell behaves. Selling it is primarily the interest, sadly. I had to learn these things first hand...all one has to do is push themselves past the "beer-thirty" mentality and then they begin seeing things once so easily overlooked or not bothered with.

    The primary objective of air conditioning is human comfort. You may be cool and dry in your home, but if the system is noisy, you are not comfortable. The primary objective has not been met. Until all that criteria is in place, you will not be happy.
    Yes you are right. Thank you for stating it so succinctly! I specifically asked the contractor about the unit, it's functioning, etc. He did give me the A/C replacement option, but no info about anything. All I looked at in my research was do heat pumps work well and efficiently in our region, and are Goodmans decent units.

    Should have looked beyond.

  6. #201
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    11,273
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    Yes you are right. Thank you for stating it so succinctly! I specifically asked the contractor about the unit, it's functioning, etc. He did give me the A/C replacement option, but no info about anything. All I looked at in my research was do heat pumps work well and efficiently in our region, and are Goodmans decent units.

    Should have looked beyond.
    Seriously, the professional is the one that needs to look beyond. Sadly, it's largely buyer beware in our day and time. It should not be that way. The main job you had before this project started was to find someone reputable, but if you've never dealt with HVAC work before, you and many homeowners in your shoes are mostly a fish out of water.

    Many times I will hear some of my colleagues here state that you get what you pay for, but I also know shoddy work can come from not-so-low bids. The integrity of the contractor is what is hardest to measure up front without spending considerable time researching his past performance with other customers.

    For your situation, I think you may need to take a two prong approach to get your happy meter needle to move into the happy band.

    Prong One: get your installer to correct the issues others have noted on this forum.

    Prong Two: don't even talk to this guy about your air noise. Find someone else who understands the cause and gives you reasonable answers as for remedying the problem. More money out of pocket, yes, but it will in the end take the worry out.

  7. #202
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Seriously, the professional is the one that needs to look beyond. Sadly, it's largely buyer beware in our day and time. It should not be that way. The main job you had before this project started was to find someone reputable, but if you've never dealt with HVAC work before, you and many homeowners in your shoes are mostly a fish out of water.

    Many times I will hear some of my colleagues here state that you get what you pay for, but I also know shoddy work can come from not-so-low bids. The integrity of the contractor is what is hardest to measure up front without spending considerable time researching his past performance with other customers.

    For your situation, I think you may need to take a two prong approach to get your happy meter needle to move into the happy band.

    Prong One: get your installer to correct the issues others have noted on this forum.

    Prong Two: don't even talk to this guy about your air noise. Find someone else who understands the cause and gives you reasonable answers as for remedying the problem. More money out of pocket, yes, but it will in the end take the worry out.
    So you are suggesting having the original installer fix the install shortcuts, and contact another company about the noise issue, right?

    Any ideas on how I might go about finding a company I can trust with resolving the issue (and not, in the process, shortening the life of my heat pump that is getting more expensive by the day)? Do all reputable hvac-type companies deal with these noise issues or is there a "specialist" I should ask for?

  8. #203
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,899
    Rut-roh
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  9. #204
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,597
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says you may win the Nigerian lottery too
    I did twice 2 years ago according to the emails I got. Luck me.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  10. #205
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,899
    Twilli says Beenthere lucky man
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  11. #206
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    11,273
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    So you are suggesting having the original installer fix the install shortcuts, and contact another company about the noise issue, right?

    Any ideas on how I might go about finding a company I can trust with resolving the issue (and not, in the process, shortening the life of my heat pump that is getting more expensive by the day)? Do all reputable hvac-type companies deal with these noise issues or is there a "specialist" I should ask for?
    You will need to do far more footwork with any other person you might hire than may have been done with the person that installed your system. The "friends and neighbors" route is a hit and miss affair, there is "Angie's List" on the internet but I don't really know how effective that is at screening the good from the bad.

    Research who you look to hire, and be discerning when they come to "interview" for your work. "Nice guy" by itself is not sufficient criteria for hiring. I'm considered a "nice guy" but I've done poor work before, only to learn how "not nice" people can be when that work is discovered. In my own sphere of HVAC contractors I know personally and would hire to do work in my home if I could not, they all belong to a trade organization known as RSES, and all of them are knowledegable and constantly seeking to better themselves and their performance. When you're around someone like that, it is hard NOT to pick up on that basic, underlying attitude. If you don't sense that with someone you're looking to hire, move on.

  12. #207
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    You will need to do far more footwork with any other person you might hire than may have been done with the person that installed your system. The "friends and neighbors" route is a hit and miss affair, there is "Angie's List" on the internet but I don't really know how effective that is at screening the good from the bad.

    Research who you look to hire, and be discerning when they come to "interview" for your work. "Nice guy" by itself is not sufficient criteria for hiring. I'm considered a "nice guy" but I've done poor work before, only to learn how "not nice" people can be when that work is discovered. In my own sphere of HVAC contractors I know personally and would hire to do work in my home if I could not, they all belong to a trade organization known as RSES, and all of them are knowledegable and constantly seeking to better themselves and their performance. When you're around someone like that, it is hard NOT to pick up on that basic, underlying attitude. If you don't sense that with someone you're looking to hire, move on.
    Okay, thanks for the tips. Meanwhile, I still wait on the original guy to come and check the system...hope it's not 9 p.m. again.

  13. #208
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    PS: Is there any online database where you can look up a company or technician's current certifications or licensure?

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event