Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I hope that isn't 66%RH showing on that stat.
    Yeah, because of the delay in the unit turning on, (since I was trying to do my experiment quickly), I turned it way down when listening for a comparative coolant flow sound. We keep our home temp at about 75-76 during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Just for the heck of it I would turn the gas stop off anyway just turn it horizontal.
    Okay, I will do that.

I wouldn't allow that guy back in the house. The liquid line looks kinked also. A new lineset needs to be ran. It's too small. Should be 3/8 and 7/8. The suction line looks like 5/8.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

I hope that isn't 66%RH showing on that stat.
    That's what I was thinking when I saw that.

As a consumer myself I had problems with my install, but the owner did take care off, or tried to address my concerns. I just had to make it clear to him that what his installers did was not correct as the people here made me aware of them. Have you looked this company up on BBB? I would, just to see if there were other complaints and if there are, I would make him aware of your concern from what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by optomos View Post

As a consumer myself I had problems with my install, but the owner did take care off, or tried to address my concerns. I just had to make it clear to him that what his installers did was not correct as the people here made me aware of them. Have you looked this company up on BBB? I would, just to see if there were other complaints and if there are, I would make him aware of your concern from what you find.

I don't think the guy can make it right. I doubt his skills. Usually I would say give him a chance. This install is too screwed up. I don't think he has a clue.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by optomos View Post

Oh man, my husband would kill me if we kept it at 66 in here!

I wasn't able to find any complaints on BBB in the large city nearby (Knoxville), but then again this is a small town and I'm not sure if it's the same company (different address).

The crimping of the pump down valve is not a giant deal, we just never do that, and if you ever had to replace the copper line set someone will have to replace the pump down valve also, I don't think it could be straightened out to accept 7/8" copper I would not even try.

They should have ran a new drain line in "PVC" pipe to the outside and over to the side of the condenser pad and dug a hole 1'x1'x1' and filled it will pea gravel and let the water drain into that, in Texas we call the a French drain and don't ask me why.
    But shouldn't he replace the pump down valve since he fouled it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    I don't think the guy can make it right. I doubt his skills. Usually I would say give him a chance. This install is too screwed up. I don't think he has a clue.
    So, what do I do???!! I can't afford to eat the whole amount! Does anybody know of any consumer protection laws in Tennessee? I have no desire to sue anyone (I happen to feel our society is waaaaaayyyy to litigious)....but I wonder if that sort of information used as motivation would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    I wasn't able to find any complaints on BBB
    News flash!! you don't file a complaint with the BBB until you give them an opportunity to correct this, if you do number one is they probably won't fix anything period and if they find out you reported them, good luck on getting anything warranted if something goes out soon. Bottom line all this quacking here might be in vain, these folks might come out and correct all your concerns, and for you and them to both act in good faith you have to at least give them an opportunity to correct this. just my opinion.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    But shouldn't he replace the pump down valve since he fouled it up?
    Personally I would have them correct this "but they probably won't" because if you ever need to have another line set run "hopefully" by another company they are going to charge you more to replace the valve you can bet.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

News flash!! you don't file a complaint with the BBB until you give them an opportunity to correct this, if you do number one is they probably won't fix anything period and if they find out you reported them, good luck on getting anything warranted if something goes out soon. Bottom line all this quacking here might be in vain, these folks might come out and correct all your concerns, and for you and them to both act in good faith you have to at least give them an opportunity to correct this. just my opinion.
    No, I agree with you absolutely...which is why I'm staying in behind him and TRYING to get him to come out here. (Still waiting.) I was just responding to the question about whether or not I checked out the BBB ratings on the company before I went with them.

The part about consumer protection was a different issue. (As in, if he refuses to fix things or makes it worse....)

Not trying to stick up for your contractor.
    But, he may have reamed his guys out back at the shop after he saw your install. And he may be trying to fugure when he can send them back to fix everything that he doesn't like.

Or not.
    Twilli says you may win the Nigerian lottery too
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Let's stay focused for the moment...the moniker of "WorryWart" is becoming way too appopriate.

When you did Bill's experiment of shutting down the outside unit but allowing the indoor blower to run, did the noise complaint you have go away, or did it remain?

If it remained, it's an airflow issue. If your ducts are all metal, and all of them are externally insulated, the inside surfaces of the ducts are hard and are transmitting the blower noise all over the house.

I just learned that your old system was a gas furnace. Gas furnaces typically are not as loud as air handlers. With a gas furnace, the blower is on the bottom, then there's a heat exchanger, then there's an A coil for cooling the air in summer. Above that is a plenum, where the air then goes to all the ducts. With a gas furnace, the air patterns are much more baffled coming off the system due to this chain of components.

With your heat pump air handler, the cooling coil is on the bottom, and the blower is above it. Past that there is not much in the way to baffle the blower noise.

To serve as an example, my own house has a gas furnace, with cooling coil on top, and a sheet metal plenum that goes into the attic, where round sheet metal ducts take the air to all the supply vents in the house. I do not have obnoxious sounds coming out of my supply vents. A quiet rush of air, far from annoying or distracting. The loudest part of the system is at the return, and even there it is tolerable.

Your other installation concerns raised by my colleagues here are valid. That being said, to correct your original complaint, you may be in for additional modifications to your duct system, since you now have a different type of equipment moving the air.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast