Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Few quick questions did you used to gave a "gas" furnace? and do you still have any gas appliances? or most importantly do you still have a gas meter hooked up to your home?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Few quick questions did you used to gave a "gas" furnace? and do you still have any gas appliances? or most importantly do you still have a gas meter hooked up to your home?
    Yes, we used to have a gas furnace, and still have gas lines (and meter) to the house. However, we have no gas appliances.

The gas pipe is sticking down in front of the inside unit (see picture). They put a gas cap on it.

The reason I ask those questions if you still have a gas meter hooked up that someone might be able to turn on you need to shut the gas stop off next to your furnace, if we would have pulled out a gas furnace and replaced it with an Air handler we would have capped the gas line. Ok sorry I could not tell if it had a cap.

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Have you tried my little experiment yet?

The reason I ask those questions if you still have a gas meter hooked up that someone might be able to turn on you need to shut the gas stop off next to your furnace, if we would have pulled out a gas furnace and replaced it with an Air handler we would have capped the gas line. Ok sorry I could not tell if it had a cap.

No problem. Thanks for checking on it.

I heard them talk about the gas cap...it just looks like a big screw type thing. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    I certainly hope that is the case! But, wouldn't ethical practices require that not only would he ream them privately, but would proactively fix the problems he saw?

Could be that this has a happy ending. I'm beginning to think he is either a yahoo hack or is taking ruthless advantage of me. I HATE when professional people talk down to me! I'm a reasonably smart person, and if they only explained things (like you all have done), I'm likely to catch on! I SO appreciate the snap educaiton you all have given me!

Also, don't forget that he actually SIGNED the unit! What does that mean?
    You have already proven you're "reasonably" smart, you found this site and asked questions. As far as him signing the unit, I personnally don't think that means squat, the main thing is that you, the consumer is happy with the end ressult of your installation.

Have you tried my little experiment yet?
    No, my husband left early to take my son fishing, so I haven't done it. I'll go down and see if I can do it myself. There is no kill switch by the unit (another thing the installer should have done, I now know), so I will have to mess with the breaker box. Let me go look and I will report back.

You know it not like this is the worst we have seen, there is just a few things they really need to clean up that I would not have allowed but maybe there boss did not see a problem with.

1. I would have never left the front of the air handler with all the copper and wires in front of the service door like that, they could have took a little more time and straightened that all up were it is clean and accessible.

2. I would have installed a new pump, it looks like they used your old one and I would have wired it differently.

3. The outside unit the small line or liquid line they should have ran along the top of the big suction line it would have looked so much nicer and also finished wrapping the big line with armaflex and taping it up really nice.

4. We would have installed a disconnect at the outdoor unit I cannot tell if they installed one at the indoor unit.

I am sure the guys here might find a few others but those were what I saw that really bothered me, as for as the ducting well no one here is able to address that we would have to be there.

Experiment results

You know it not like this is the worst we have seen, there is just a few things they really need to clean up that I would not have allowed but maybe there boss did not see a problem with.

1. I would have never left the front of the air handler with all the copper and wires in front of the service door like that, they could have took a little more time and straightened that all up were it is clean and accessible.

2. I would have installed a new pump, it looks like they used your old one and I would have wired it differently.

3. The outside unit the small line or liquid line they should have ran along the top of the big suction line it would have looked so much nicer and also finished wrapping the big line with armaflex and taping it up really nice.

4. We would have installed a disconnect at the outdoor unit I cannot tell if they installed one at the indoor unit.

I am sure the guys here might find a few others but those were what I saw that really bothered me, as for as the ducting well no one here is able to address that we would have to be there.
    Yes, I'm going to bring those things up. What about your take on the drain from teh outdoor unit (that appears to disappear into the wall)? Also, what's your opinion on the crimped lines?

Thanks for trying to make me feel better about it.

I tried your experiment with running fan only with outdoor unit off, but it was tough because there is a delay in clikcing on and off, plus the new thermostat is very simplistic but you have to have it on "cool" in order to get hte fan on, I think. It seems like the sound is the same regardless....leading me to believe its an airflow or blower or duct issue?

Who were you saying would have to deal with ducts? And wasn't there some way the issue of air flow and blower speed that could be troubleshot too?

Here is a picture of the gas cap and thermostat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Just for the heck of it I would turn the gas stop off anyway just turn it horizontal.

I hope that isn't 66%RH showing on that stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    What about your take on the drain from teh outdoor unit (that appears to disappear into the wall)? Also, what's your opinion on the crimped lines?
    The crimping of the pump down valve is not a giant deal, we just never do that, and if you ever had to replace the copper line set someone will have to replace the pump down valve also, I don't think it could be straightened out to accept 7/8" copper I would not even try.

They should have ran a new drain line in "PVC" pipe to the outside and over to the side of the condenser pad and dug a hole 1'x1'x1' and filled it will pea gravel and let the water drain into that, in Texas we call the a French drain and don't ask me why.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I hope that isn't 66%RH showing on that stat.
    I think 66 is the set point and it's 73 in the home.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast