Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I am in serious trouble!

Post Likes

Unhappy Help! I am in serious trouble!

First, I am duly ashamed that I am in this position, and should have done my homework more carefully. Mea culpa and please don't scold me harshly.

My husband and I just junked our 35 year old A/C unit because of a chronic leak in the coolant system (and, frankly, its age). We decided to go with a heat pump, because we live in East Tennessee and that is what you do around here. We are on a limited budget (aren't we all) with a young child. I asked for a recommendation from our neighbor and went with the professional recommended. He seemed nice enough, and his team installed a Goodman 13-SEER GSH130421A/ARUF364216 unit.

The very night of the install I started going crazy because of the excessive noise inside our house (1972 sq foot rancher, 711 finished downstairs, indoor unit downstairs in garage basement). There is a huge rushing sound from both the intake and vents, which I assume is caused by the increased capacity of our new system. I guess I could live with that, although it would be nice if it could cool without hissing at us.

But here is my major issue: There is a major droning noise from the indoor unit that I hear in 4 rooms and the hallway upstairs. I don't really know how to describe it otherwise, since it's not a rattle and I can't discern any scraping. Is there anything that can be done to lessen this noise? It sounds like a factory in here, and I declare I will probably kill myself if I have to listen to this day in and day out. It's a home, for goodness sake!

Have I just messed myself over, or can you help? I called the installer and he said something about coming out and cutting down the speed of the blower, but will that address the drone as well? What should I ask him about and what should he do? What should he have done?

I tried to do my best and live within our budget and am very discouraged. :-( Please help me.

Post Likes
    Wart....when you first had this quote prepared for you did your salesman do a load calculation on your house to properly size your new equipment???

What is the square footage of your home?
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    Honestly, I don't know if he did or didn't. The old A/C was a 3 ton and he said I needed a 3.5 ton.

The upstairs is 1972 sq feet and downstairs was finished recently for an additional 711 sq feet or so. There was a vent in the basement but not a return, so he added a 12x12 there.

Post Likes
    Did they also check to see if the ductwork was sized properly also, if they change blower speeds, this can create other problems as well.

Post Likes
    Make that 790 finished downstairs.

Post Likes
    Twilli says another hummer
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 41 View Post
    Did they also check to see if the ductwork was sized properly also, if they change blower speeds, this can create other problems as well.
    So if he suggests doing that, what should I be sure he does as well?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says another hummer
    If a hummer is an ignorant consumer, guilty as charged! :-(

Post Likes
    Anytime your air flow is adjusted....they will need to adjust the refrigerant charge in the AC/HP as well. Before they do anything though they need to verify you have the proper airflow for your system by using the blower chart and checking static pressure.

At 3.5 tons outside, your air handler should be moving somewhere around 1400 CFM's of air. Once they verify that, they will need to check the superheat and subcooling on the outdoor unit to make sure the refrigerant charge is correct.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    If a hummer is an ignorant consumer, guilty as charged! :-(
    Twilli likes to have fun with new members....he's harmless....if he makes fun of you it means he likes you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Anytime your air flow is adjusted....they will need to adjust the refrigerant charge in the AC/HP as well. Before they do anything though they need to verify you have the proper airflow for your system by using the blower chart and checking static pressure.

At 3.5 tons outside, your air handler should be moving somewhere around 1400 CFM's of air. Once they verify that, they will need to check the superheat and subcooling on the outdoor unit to make sure the refrigerant charge is correct.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to talk me through this.

Will this sort of adjustment affect the efficiency OR effectiveness of the system (either in heating or cooling mode)?

Also, do you suspect that would help with hearing the "engine" sound (for lack of the right term)?

OR do you suspect the system is oversized for hte house?

OR, is it the brand?

Post Likes
    So if he suggests doing that, what should I be sure he does as well?
    I bend metal already told you what to look for, sorry I don't type very fast or very well for that matter.

Post Likes
    Mr. Bill says drone noise much better than moan noise in home especially if you have children around.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Twilli likes to have fun with new members....he's harmless....if he makes fun of you it means he likes you.

Teehee. My life sucks right now (what with my big heat pump experiment disaster), but at least somebody likes me! :-) I guess I'm not as big an idiot as I feel right now...

Post Likes
    Are you sure the noise is from the airhandler and not the outside unit.
    The lineset can transmit noise from the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Me neither....right now my fingers are flying due primarily to panic! Thanks for checking back in, though!

If you have any additional ideas or thoughts, please do let me know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Are you sure the noise is from the airhandler and not the outside unit.
    The lineset can transmit noise from the outdoor unit.
    Frankly, I can't be sure of it, but I don't think so. The outside unit does not sound markedly louder than the old A/C (but did I mention that it sounds like a washing machine in the living room? :-)

The people that put it in said that that was a possibility and that it may need some time to "break in"...but again, very loud, no cessation, etc.

Post Likes
    If you have any additional ideas or thoughts, please do let me know.
    If you try and drown out drone noise with moan noise you probably will not hear drone noise unless husband is not doing his job.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Oh good grief, Charlie!

Post Likes
    Thank you so much for taking the time to talk me through this.

Will this sort of adjustment affect the efficiency OR effectiveness of the system (either in heating or cooling mode)?
    Yes it will....if it adjusted properly that means that you will be getting the most efficiency you can out of the unit.

Also, do you suspect that would help with hearing the "engine" sound (for lack of the right term)?
    That sound could very easily be solved with a blower speed adjustemnt....however, it could be a ductwork issue as well. Since the unit has already been installed, the only way to figure it out is to set the units up properly...by setting CFM and then refrigerant charge. Once this is done properly you will know if it is a ductwork issue.

OR do you suspect the system is oversized for hte house?

OR, is it the brand?
    Can't tell about the sizing because I am not there to analyze it but it sounds ok on paper....it's not the brand....we install and sell Goodman exclusively...they are very good units.

Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in