Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 303
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Twilli likes to have fun with new members....he's harmless....if he makes fun of you it means he likes you.

    Teehee. My life sucks right now (what with my big heat pump experiment disaster), but at least somebody likes me! :-) I guess I'm not as big an idiot as I feel right now...

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    N.E. Ok.
    Posts
    1,364
    Are you sure the noise is from the airhandler and not the outside unit.
    The lineset can transmit noise from the outdoor unit.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Me neither....right now my fingers are flying due primarily to panic! Thanks for checking back in, though!

    If you have any additional ideas or thoughts, please do let me know.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Are you sure the noise is from the airhandler and not the outside unit.
    The lineset can transmit noise from the outdoor unit.
    Frankly, I can't be sure of it, but I don't think so. The outside unit does not sound markedly louder than the old A/C (but did I mention that it sounds like a washing machine in the living room? :-)

    The people that put it in said that that was a possibility and that it may need some time to "break in"...but again, very loud, no cessation, etc.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,918
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    If you have any additional ideas or thoughts, please do let me know.
    If you try and drown out drone noise with moan noise you probably will not hear drone noise unless husband is not doing his job.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Oh good grief, Charlie!

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,875
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    Thank you so much for taking the time to talk me through this.

    Will this sort of adjustment affect the efficiency OR effectiveness of the system (either in heating or cooling mode)?
    Yes it will....if it adjusted properly that means that you will be getting the most efficiency you can out of the unit.

    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    Also, do you suspect that would help with hearing the "engine" sound (for lack of the right term)?
    That sound could very easily be solved with a blower speed adjustemnt....however, it could be a ductwork issue as well. Since the unit has already been installed, the only way to figure it out is to set the units up properly...by setting CFM and then refrigerant charge. Once this is done properly you will know if it is a ductwork issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    OR do you suspect the system is oversized for hte house?

    OR, is it the brand?
    Can't tell about the sizing because I am not there to analyze it but it sounds ok on paper....it's not the brand....we install and sell Goodman exclusively...they are very good units.
    I need a new signature.....

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Are you sure the noise is from the airhandler and not the outside unit.
    The lineset can transmit noise from the outdoor unit.
    Along those same lines though...I think at least one of the copper lines going into the house looks like it was crimped and then sautered (sp?)...think they just reused existing line and is that a problem?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    15,918
    Mr. Bill was only joking, he was trying to use a little humor to keep you from having
    panic attack, please don't take Mr. Bill wrong.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Yes it will....if it adjusted properly that means that you will be getting the most efficiency you can out of the unit.



    That sound could very easily be solved with a blower speed adjustemnt....however, it could be a ductwork issue as well. Since the unit has already been installed, the only way to figure it out is to set the units up properly...by setting CFM and then refrigerant charge. Once this is done properly you will know if it is a ductwork issue.



    Can't tell about the sizing because I am not there to analyze it but it sounds ok on paper....it's not the brand....we install and sell Goodman exclusively...they are very good units.
    Thank you thank you thank you! I feel better hearing you say that you sell Goodmans and they are a good brand. I take it you don't normally have complaints about inside noise level?

    One final question about effectiveness...my husband says he doesn't want the blower speed reduced because he is convinced the system won't cool as well/quickly with reduced blower speed (I think it's a complex from having a weak old A/C for years). Will it? Why is the higher blower speed provided?

    Also, on this model, I assume it does not automatically adjust speed. Why are the other speeds provided?

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Mr. Bill was only joking, he was trying to use a little humor to keep you from having
    panic attack, please don't take Mr. Bill wrong.
    Oh, I wouldn't ever do that, Mr. Bill! I know you were only trying to protect me from having crushed bones! :-)

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,875
    Quote Originally Posted by WorryWart View Post
    Along those same lines though...I think at least one of the copper lines going into the house looks like it was crimped and then sautered (sp?)...think they just reused existing line and is that a problem?
    Hmmmmm....could be an issue...the 3.5 ton uses a 7/8 lineset. Anyone wanna bet the old lineset was 3/4?
    I need a new signature.....

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Mr. Bill was only joking, he was trying to use a little humor to keep you from having
    panic attack, please don't take Mr. Bill wrong.
    You gotta stop hangin out with Twilla .... she's rubbing off on you
    I need a new signature.....

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event