Thread: Capacitor Size

Capacitor Size

I recently had my Bryant 5 ton airconditioner serviced as the capacitor had started to leak. They replaced a dual type 55uf/5uf capacitor with a 45uf/5uf capacitor. They assured me that this is the recommended part but when i went online and checked the manufacture documents recommend a 55uf/5uf.

Should I be concerned?

What might happen because the compressor capacitor is 20% smaller?

David

Better get them back out there....if that 55 is actually correct....

20% less would work in an emergency, but only until the correct one could be put in.

It's not hard for the tech to make a phone call and find out what size is required.
    I need a new signature.....

Thanks for the advice. The 55uf is correct and i verified it with the manufacture's documentation on the unit. I'll have them come out again.

BTW: does the smaller size stress the capacitor of the compressor?

Twilli says they need a multiuse cap
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

It will make the compressor work harder on start up.

The Tech should have new better thats why every service tech should have universal capacitors on thier trucks

in 25 years i'm sure i've put smaller caps on units than they came with. the caps do say + or - so many %. but i have to say i've never had an h.o. bird dog me that close and i've had them pretty close. one guy even followed me under the house when there wasn't even room for me. i told him there's room for me and my tool bag or there's room for us two, which will it be? he said " i can hand you your tools". i don't think he enjoyed writing that check
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Due to the huge variety of dual caps being installed, our company has abandoned all of them in favor of the Turbo multi-tap capacitors. They cost more but not as much as trying to carry 50 different caps and 50 dual caps on board. With the Turbo, we never install the improper size. If the motor calls for 55, then 55 is what should be on it IMO.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Most of today's capacitors are + or - 6% according to the label...and I do say most....not all of them are that way. Universal caps are great...now that they are available. I carry enough capacitors on my truck that I could make any size capacitor I needed in a pinch by slapping them together the proper way. Those universals are expensive.
    Last edited by I_bend_metal; 06-14-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GEORGEDUNN View Post
    The Tech should have new better thats why every service tech should have universal capacitors on thier trucks
    thats why every tech should of took the money that a universal cap costs and stock all the caps!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    thats why every tech should of took the money that a universal cap costs and stock all the caps!

I hate to admit it.
    But I agree with you. LOL...
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I hate to admit it.
    But I agree with you. LOL...

that's not funny

now there is no controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    that's not funny

now there is no controversy

Yea, did kinda take the fun out of it.

Say something stupid so i can disagree. ROFLMAO
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?