Lineset Insulation melting

Lineset Insulation melting

I have a heat pump outside my house in an enclosure that was required by the community. Clearances are 2 1/2" 4", 10" and about 24" around the unit. I have had two compressors replaced and it's acting funny again. The black insulation around the large part of the lineset has some melted areas and some scorched areas, and the lineset itself is very discolored. Could the small clearances around the heat pump be creating these high temps?

The scorch, burning and discoloration may have been caused by poor brazing technique.
    The compressor loses are probably from the enclosure being too close.
    Can you post pics of it.

Is it like a lattic fence enclosure, or some can of other vented enclosure.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The scorch and burning are not at a joint, and the insulation is either melted or charred, and very brittle when pulled away from the lineset. As for the enclosure, it is completely solid, no lattice or other openings, from the bottom to the top, which is about 42-48" tall. I'll try to get some pics.

Yes, pic would be nice.
    But, if its solid and that close to the unit. The enclosure is causing your problems. They need to be able to move air, lots and lots of air. The lack of air is cooking your compressor.

The OD unit of a HP need to move 2 to 3 times as much air as the indoor unit.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by BendGregg View Post
    I have a heat pump outside my house in an enclosure that was required by the community. Clearances are 2 1/2" 4", 10" and about 24" around the unit. I have had two compressors replaced and it's acting funny again. The black insulation around the large part of the lineset has some melted areas and some scorched areas, and the lineset itself is very discolored. Could the small clearances around the heat pump be creating these high temps?

damn neighborhood associations, send em a bill and pull that enclosure down!!

bad news for hvac equipment.
    You can't fix stupid

Is it cooling at all? What is the outdoor air and discharge temperature at the condensing unit?
    The Impossible is possible around here.... It just cost a little more.

I don't know the exact pressures. It's a vacation home and we're only there for select wknds throughout the year, so I'm very concerned about the heat that is building up on the large lineset in such a short amount of time. I'll have to check with the company that did the first two compressor change outs on the pressures.

If you ony use it on select weekends. And your not keeping it at temp the whole time your not there.
    That should give you an idea of how bad the enclosure is for it.
    Contractor locator map