Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Condensor location

I live in NJ and have a code question. I want to put a new condensor "close" to our gas meter, 12-24" away, and under our electrical service.

While I have had a few companies out, only 1 has said we can not place it there. Anyone know if this is the case?

Buzz

It's 3 feet minimum here. Talk with the code inforcement people and the gas company to see if there is a way to get a waiver for the distance.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

3'.
    Forget the waiver attempt. Find another location.
    Not allowed to be under the electrical meter either.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

When I had my system installed about 5 years ago I was faced with the same problem. My installer told me if I was only replacing my outside compressor that I would not be required to move the compressor location.

Since I was replacing the entire system, gas furnace, coil, compressor & line set, I was told that I was required to move the compressor location a minimum of 3 feet from the gas meter.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    3'.
    Forget the waiver attempt. Find another location.
    Not allowed to be under the electrical meter either.
    Yep, same here......
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

3' from gas meter and you can't obstruct direct access to the power meter.

First, thanks to all who have responded.

I just went and measured it, I was a little off doing it from memory... Sorry about that...

It is 87" from gas (not meter but rather the pipe going into the ground, meter is farther) to electric meter which is 50" off the ground. If I go 36" from the pipe, then 37" for condensor, that leaves me 14" from the condensor to the electric meter. The other side of the meeting is also 14" to a wooden shed.

Think that is going to be ok?

Again I appreciate your responses.

Probably not.
    Had an inspector make me move a condenser 6". Yep, I was 30" away, made me move it.
    Contractor locator map

???

Ok, so I call the town and speak with someone who tells me it needs to be 10' from the gas meter which would SUCK. I have 3 exterior walls I can put the AC unit on (only half of house has basement). The front is obviously out, the side is out due to the 10' rule and the back, which is where the old unit is, is scheduled to have a paver patio put in and it would SUCK to have an AC unit sitting in the middle of it...

Not that I don't trust them, but 10' seems was excessive. How do I look up town rules on my own? I am in NJ. Do towns decide these things are is it a state thing?

Yep, it is tricky trying to hide the ugly stuff.

Probably your state has adopted the Fuel Gas Code. You can check that by looking through your state statutes.

Chances are the local authority has taken that also. However, sometimes they make little tweeks. So you will want to ask about local statutes and amendments. City hall, building development, inspection office, are the sort of places.

The gas company may have its own add-ons. And the electric company may have add-ons so that their meter readers and electricians can access equipment.

The outside A/C unit is classified as an ignition source. If the gas line or meter were to develop a leak, they want the ignition source far away, allowing the leak to dilute somewhat. Recently we had a crew punch a gas line in the street. People died in the resulting explosions and fire. The gas traveled up the sewer system into the houses.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLitYr View Post
    I live in NJ and have a code question. I want to put a new condensor "close" to our gas meter, 12-24" away, and under our electrical service.

While I have had a few companies out, only 1 has said we can not place it there. Anyone know if this is the case?

Buzz
    I'd go with that Co. they are right.

3' here also for gas meter. We have a 30" rule to the side for elec. meter. (can't be in front of meter )
    Know way of knowing your local rule but it can be more than that.

Best to get it right the first time.

While the company that said I couldn't put it there was also the one that came in, looked at the old condensor, looked at where I wanted to put it (and said I can't) then handed me a quote... Didn't even look at the coil, didn't go upstairs, heck all he saw was the living room, kitched and dinning room as he walked to the back yard...

The company I want to use will do a Manual J once I sign with them and have given me the high side in terms of $$$.

On a non-hvac note, I was having my driveway replaced (asphalt) and while the work was being done an inspector stopped and told the paving crew I needed a permit who in turn called me. I called the town who said that I didn't need one provided I was not increasing the size and in turn I called the paving crew and said to finish the job. Well guess what, I did need one. When I went down to the town later I was told the person I spoke with thought I was sealing the driveway. Now why would they have said I only needed one if I was increasing the size IF they thought I was simply sealing the driveway??? Still fighting that... Don't mind paying the permit fees, just no fines...

Still amazes me if you have the meter centered on an outside wall you could have 20' of area that you can't put the unit....

And your only dealing with codes and permits on your house for a few items.
    We deal with it on a daily basis trying to find the room to vent this, set that, access this, and protect the other thing also.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast