Building Code Question

Building Code Question

Hi,
    I just had a new furnace a/c system installed at my house by a local contractor. The inspector came and in a short amount of time gave it the 'ok'.

I have always wanted to know where the inspector gets their 'code information' from. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so I did some looking and found an 'Alberta Building Code' binder available at our local library. I went down to the library and read up the section on furnaces, but it was really vague I did not see any exact dimensions (i.e. 10" from a wall, 6" vent required, etc) that I was expecting. Was I looking the wrong section, or can someone tell me where this information is? I think as a homeowner this would be a good reference for whenever I get work done on my home by a contractor (having another set of eyes look over everything along with the inspector couldn't do no harm).

Thanks in advance!

installations manuals for the equipment have alot of info in them.....

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Your inspector would use the gas code. CSA-B149
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by rich pickering View Post
    Your inspector would use the gas code. CSA-B149
    See now where did you find that he woud use the the CSA-B149 gas code? Is there a newsletter that you subscribe to if you are a tradesperson (or does your association keep you abreast of the latest code)?

Is there a list someone of the relevant codes? For instance if I wanted to double check what the placement of my electrical disconnect for my A/C unit should be. Mine is not behind the unit and I was told that it was correct. But where does one go to find out what the exact requirements were (within 2' of a receptable, or 2.5' of condensing unit but not directly behind it), etc.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by andserco View Post
    installations manuals for the equipment have alot of info in them.....
    The first place I looked was the instruction manuals left with the unit. They do a good job giving the requirements, but they always end with something to the effect of their instruction are to be superseded by local building codes.

I'm not in Canada, but I can see that you're getting a better understanding of what us in the business need to know to do the job right. It's not rocket science, but if you put a couple dozen of the pro's together from this site I bet a really good rocket could be built.

To install a furnace we need to go by: 1) the manufacturer's installation manual 2) plumbing code 3) flue gas code 4) electrical code 5) ductwork sizing and installation standards 6) EPA refrigerant handling requirements - if there's an AC attached 7) Local code 8) state code 9) national code 10) then you have to sometimes throw in an inspectors own personal idea of how something should be
    I know I'm missing something here, but I think you get the idea.

The inspector is actually the best source of what requirements need to be met when a furnace is installed and what sources he uses to keep himself up to date on each aspect of the installation.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.