Carrier Performance 3 ton Ac with 3 1/2 ton coil

I am planning to buy carrier performance series 15 seers AC, one dealer Mississauga Home Comfort is telling me to get 3 ton AC with 3 1/2 ton coil for better performance. The other dealer is saying that 3 ton AC should go with 3 ton coil and if you put 3 1/2 ton coil the carrier warrantee is void. Can anybody give me their unbiased opinion what to believe on? This unit is for a 3200 sq feet home in toronto.

well if it is an ARI matched coil then there should be a problem with the warranty, or performance. did the contractor judtify the size differential
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

As said above, being an ARI-rated match is important. It is quite common to oversize the coil to get better efficiency and performance, and a 3-ton condenser going with a 3.5-ton coil is not uncommon. Can you provide model numbers? For example, I just looked up an ARI-rated match with a 3-ton Performance 15 A/C with a 4-ton indoor N coil.

Another issue: do you have a variable-speed furnace? If not, it's hard to get 15 SEER unless you play with the coil matchup a bit.

good point ryan about the variable speed
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

In Toronto, Canada the cooling season shouldn't be very long.

If the 3.5-ton coil is an ARI-Rated Match I would think Rheem wold honor the warranty but you better make sure of that.

A half ton larger evap coil isn't much, I like them up-sized.
    The main thing is proper ductwork & a lot of airflow. - Darrell

Sorry for jumping in on the post but I have a ? regarding seer and VS blower's. I just had a Infinity furnace with VS blower installed but I still have my older 10 seer AC and coil and since I now have a VS blower will I get a better seer rating of 10 with the new furnace even though the compressor and coil do not match the new furnace?? I just had the AC checked out and all if properly charged and all duct work is good and sealed. Again sorry for jumping in on the post

thanks folks for your valuable input:
    Model number of 3 ton performance 15 seers AC is 24APA536A003
    and 3 ton coil is FV4BNF003
    and 3.5 ton coil is FV4BNF005
    Both coils are carrier.

Only justification for 3.5 ton coil is that I won't have any issues in air flow and since it is a little undersized for the house better air flow means better efficiency.
    I have a infiniti series furnace so no issues with variable motor.
    In regards to warrantee I think i'll make a call to Carrier and see what they have to say. How do u folks check ARI?

Okay, this is a different scenario. Those air handlers are rated for different sizes of outdoor units. There is absolutely no problem putting one or the other with the 3-ton Performance 15. The FV4BNF005 isn't actually a 3.5-ton coil. With the *003 coil you get 12.50 EER, 15.00 SEER, and 7.80 HSPF. With the *005 coil you get 13.00 EER, 16.00 SEER, and 8.20 HSPF. The unit is also a rated match with the *002 and *006 air handlers. Get the point? The airflow can be adjusted for whatever outdoor unit the air handler is matched with. FV4B Product Data

thx Ryan I'll go with 3.5 ton.

Also check with carrier today and they confirm that warrantee would not be void, if I put 3.5 ton indoor unit.