Thanks to all of you who helped me a few months ago !!!

Hey Gang,

Just wanted to check in and report on my hybrid system thus far. Based on this forum (and Gary_G/beenthere) I had my builder rip out a Weather King Furnace/AC unit for a Ruud UGRA Furnace and UPNL Heat Pump.

Upon moving in I did my typical once over of the system. This always entails taping all seams (that I can see/reach) that piss out air on the supply or suck air in on the return side. For little holes I use that gray duct goo stuff. I then figure out which ducts lead where and balance out my system to my tastes. The vent right behind the TV stand - closed via damper. Master BR closet - closed via damper. Downstairs powder room - 1/2 power via damper (its on a outside wall so I don't want freezing issues come winter). We have two bathrooms upstairs, but they are small by today's building standards. Really more like big powder room sized. Closed both of those via damper too (small duct leads into there, very little air coming out of them as it was). Inspected the furnace filter that was installed - it was one of those pleated starve the blower types. It had only been running for 2 days before I moved in and it looked like somebody had punched a big dent in it already. Replaced it with a fiberglass blue max airflow type. They are dirt cheap and I am diligent with the monthly replacements.

After looking at the actual units, the HVAC guy installed a 3.5 ton system for my 2200 sq. foot house. I think he actually went a little bigger then he needed to, but I'm okay with that. This past week we were in the 4 day heat wave here in the NE. 98+ degree days and 70 degree nights. It was HOT outside, plus the humidty was horrible.

Well, long story short. During the most intense heat of the day, my system kept the downstairs (where the thermostat is) at its set point of 74 degrees. Upstairs only got to 76.2 degrees. Humidity upstairs was at 52%.

I'd say the system works pretty damned good, no? I was doing the happy happy joy joy dance on day one. Finally a system that delivered !!!!

Jopopsy
    (not my real name, pls don't private mail me wondering if it is). :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
    Hey Gang,

I'd say the system works pretty damned good, no? I was doing the happy happy joy joy dance on day one. Finally a system that delivered !!!!

Glad to hear it.

Jopopsy
    (not my real name, pls don't private mail me wondering if it is). :P
    LOL...
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Jomomma
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

lmao ........twilli your the man thanks for lightening the mood on here amongst the hvac snobs
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

Wild guess

I'll take a wild guess.

Your name is Joe, and the grandchildren call you 'popsy'.

AM

OK - when is the HVAC party at your place?

Keep your eye on those cheap-o spun fiberglass filters, as they can let a lot of dirt pass through. If you see the inside of your evap coil starting to get dirty, you might want to replace the filter with a not-to-restrictive MERV 6 or 8 pleated filter.

Best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    I'll take a wild guess.

Your name is Joe, and the grandchildren call you 'popsy'.

AM
    Close.

His name is Popsy and the grandkids call him Joe

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    OK - when is the HVAC party at your place?

Keep your eye on those cheap-o spun fiberglass filters, as they can let a lot of dirt pass through. If you see the inside of your evap coil starting to get dirty, you might want to replace the filter with a not-to-restrictive MERV 6 or 8 pleated filter.

Best to you.
    How about those Polyester disposible filters? A little more filtering then the fiberglass but no appreciable drop in flow ... ????

Quote Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
    How about those Polyester disposible filters? A little more filtering then the fiberglass but no appreciable drop in flow ... ????
    decent, but the glass ones are worthless, take one to the kitchen and pour salt over it, most if not all will end up on the floor(so you may want to take the test outside )
    You can't fix stupid