Question Something new every day....

Got a call from a tech that I know and trust. He tells me that he has a start capacitor that is "leaking" a white powdery subsatnce. He claims this is because the start cap is mounted on its side.

He said Lennox had this problem when they were mounting start caps upside down. He went on to say he has never found this substance "wet" but he has seen cases where the dried powder appeared to have been drop that formed a spatter pattern on surfaces below the cap and then dried.

I don't doubt what he is saying, but for all these years I was under the impression start caps were dry. The most common failure I have seen is the internal plates and paper expanded out the top.

Any ideas about this would be appreciated.

Best rgards...

i mounted a start cap upside down last week(in a whirlpool gold unit,no other way to get room) and it spewed white powder like a hot beer spews. put another cap in and it ran like a new one.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Twilli says buy the counterflo models and they'll work just fine upside down
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Lightbulb Smittyii

Thanks for the reply. I wonder when the upright mounting became required?I've been in this trade for more years than I care to divulge and this is the first I've heard of this.

I still learn something new almost every day.

Best regards...