Thread: Seer rating Question

Post Likes

Seer rating Question

Hello,

I live in West Palm Beach,Fl. I am replacing my 16 year old Rheem. I have received quotes from 3 dealers and all have recommended at leat a 15 seer unit. Most dealers seem to be promoting Lennox . Will I receive enough of a difference in the Fpl bill to make a difference? The units I am considering are as follows.
    Xc21 20.5 seer Lennox- best value for the unit I feel with the lennox and Fpl rebate.
    xc14 16.20 seer Lennox
    14acx Merit series.
    I realize instillation is key, and feel comfortable with the recommendations I have received from the 2 contractors I have narrowed it down to.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Likes
    Post the model numbers of the condensers (outside units) and air handlers.

16 SEER (not the XC14 that gets 16 SEER) and higher will be 2-stage compressors which are good for humidity removal.

I believe the Merit Series is a basic, builders-grade unit.

In Florida, I would want a 10 year Parts and Labor Warranty.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    saf

what size condenser?

what mdl/size air handler?

Post Likes
    Thank you for responding. I need a 3 ton unit. The xc14 has a 10 year on compresoor 5 year covered components. the xc21 has a 10 year on all. The fpl energy guide I downloaded said that I will save $160 a year on average from the 16 seer to the 20 seer. Do you find that to be accurate?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Still no model numbers posted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by saf3xp View Post
    The fpl energy guide I downloaded said that I will save $160 a year on average from the 16 seer to the 20 seer. Do you find that to be accurate?

Thanks
    Too many variables for a general statement like that. Depends on house construction, insulation, ductwork, indoor setpoint temp, etc.

If you believe the FPL energy guide, divide the difference in price between the 20 SEER and 14 SEER by 160, and that's your payback time (in years) for the 20 SEER over the 14 SEER. How many years is it?

Post Likes
    Gary,

I called Lennox. They gave me a model# of xc21-036-230-2 for the 20 seer.

They gave me the same model # for the xc14. The Fpl guide was an average. I am asking if you, the professional, find this to be accurate. Home is a wood frame home built in the late 80's. Temp is set at 80 during the day.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by saf3xp View Post
    Gary,

I called Lennox. They gave me a model# of xc21-036-230-2 for the 20 seer.

They gave me the same model # for the xc14. The Fpl guide was an average. I am asking if you, the professional, find this to be accurate. Home is a wood frame home built in the late 80's. Temp is set at 80 during the day.
    OK - you have the model numbers for the condensers (outside units). You need the model numbers of the matching air handlers (indoor units). This will provide the actual SEER, EER, and system btu's to help answer your "Is it worth it" question.

Typically, dual-stage compressors are more for comfort than energy savings.

Post Likes
    I live in Boynton Beach, and had a Trane XL19i installed 19 SEER and a variable speed airhandler, and air cleaner, 3 to 4 years ago. Have been extremely happy with it. Not only does it remove humidity well, but based on the humidity removal, you can up the setpoint. I keep my house at 79 and you will not believe how cool it feels!
    Yes as compared to my old RUUD 10 seer my monthly KW useage has always been less.
    If you install the Trane higher SEER units as a complete system, you will get a 2 year labor warranty and all parts including the thermo, airhandler, aircleaner etc., get a 10 year warranty. BTW FPL offers a good rebate on the higher SEER units.

Post Likes
    saf

assuming this Lennox AC condenser paired with most eff var spd air handler, here are the performance numbers provided from AHRI AC Directory.

XC21
    542093 Active Systems XC21 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XC21-036-230* CBX32MV-048-230* 38000 14.00 20.00 1 RCU-A-CB

XC14
    1235265 Active Systems XC14 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XC14-036-230* CBX32MV-048*+TDR 35000 13.20 15.70 1 RCU-A-CB

XC15
    1329501 Active Systems XC15 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XC15-036-230* CBX32MV-048*+TDR 36000 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB

XC16
    1003729 Active Systems XC16 SERIES LENNOX INDUSTRIES, INC. XC16-036-230* CBX32MV-048*+TDR 35200 12.50 16.50 1 RCU-A-CB

The XC21 has some great numbers.

IMO

Post Likes
    Tiger,

I am not sure what those numbers mean, however with the Fpl and Lennox rebate, it is the best value of all three units. I apreciate the repsonse. Do you find the lennox xc21 to be one of the better high efficient units?

Thanks

Post Likes
    SAF

the bold highlighted numbers are:

number of cooling BTUs, EER efficiency, SEER efficiency

keep in mind these numbers refer to the matching var spd air handler listed.

all are great numbers,

but the 3 ton XC21 has awesome numbers including extra BTUs.

IMO

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in