Is this a faulty design?

Okay, one last question before I buy a new A/C for upstairs. The quote is for a Rheem RANL-024JAZ outside and the coil is a RCFL-HM2414. I have heard that what our builder put in 10 years ago with the coil in the plenum (see attachments), are prone to leak. I am concerned that if we go with this set up ( a value series coil), that it will develop leaks, which has been our problem leading to replacement. Anyway, I will talk to the tech about this, but should I ask him to consider a better set up for the coil, even if it costs more? Thanks. Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images   

They don't sprinkle magic fairy dust on the value coils to make them fail any sooner.

They're all made on the same line.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Wow don't folks use furnace stands anymore? it sure does make the installation look much better.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

What's with the gas regulater on top of the furnace, is it vented to the outside?

Also, is that one of those new non-combustible wooden bases I've been hearing about?

That's a great question about the wood. It does seem to be a little close to the fire, huh? The furnace is vented to the outside. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom34diy View Post
    That's a great question about the wood. It does seem to be a little close to the fire, huh? The furnace is vented to the outside. Tom
    Check your model #, some are o" on the sides to combustibles.
    it's been awhile so if i'm wrong, help Rheem/Rudd guy's.

Vented to the outside is a good thing

The regulator vent connection should be vented to the outside. There should be a dirt leg on the gas line at the furnace.

Also, duct tape.....UGHH!
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

you have some real butchers in your area

looks like somebody shot your furnace.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Regulator has vent limiter. shuts off. Other than that all kinda wrong.

Back to the original question, is the current set up an All Style coil plenum set up that is prone to leak? I found this quote in another thread,

"The Allstyle "all in one" type plenum coils are notorious for developing refrigerant leaks. The company I work for has a policy that we will not replace one with another of the same type coil, period."

This is why I wonder if our contractor/tech should not just install the same set up again, but put in something else besides the Rheem RCFL-HM2414. Can someone help, since I plan to call him today? Thanks. Tom