how to tell if Rheem 2 stage is using both stages

Ok how do you know if and when the furnace is running in one stage or the other and if its working right ?? Is this something that is built right in the furnace and it does it automatic ??

mostly yes you would need a pro to tell you, If your furnace kicks on and you sit by it and it is firing for a few minutes, Then it "revs" up. You will then most likely have the other stage on. The flame may get bigger or "louder" and the induced drfat motor may run faster.

Some tstats (newer) can inform you which stage its calling for. Honeywell pro8000 series will let you know.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Normally your furnace runs for about 10 minutes before the second stage ever kicks in. During mild weather it will hardly ever kick in if it is sized properly. Second stage is for more cold than mild.

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    Ok how do you know if and when the furnace is running in one stage or the other and if its working right ?? Is this something that is built right in the furnace and it does it automatic ??
    Each furnace does this a little differently and the type of thermostat can sometimes dictate how the furnace stages.

One way to possibly tell the difference is to stay by the furnace and have someone at the thermostat turn it up just enough to bring the furnace on after 1 minute that should be your low stage. Have the person at the thermostat then turn it up by 10 degrees and wait at least 20 minutes. Sometime during that amount of time the furnace should go to high fire. The sound will change when it does in some cases a lot and in others just barely noticable.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

I guess I should have asked; Does the furnace do this automatic or does somethng need to be done to make it do it ? I know when they installed it they ran it for a while and trned the stat up and down and he was checking temp rises and gas pressures.

I guess im just curious again as to if this does this by internal settings in the furnace or what

Guess I wasn't clear enough..... each and every installation is different. The best people to ask are the ones you bought the equipment from and had install it.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

If he wired up the 2 stage stat to control it. When you hear the second click of the stat, the furnace will go to second stage.
    If he is using the furnaces board timer, then it will go to second stage after 10 or 15 minutes of run time, weather or not you need second stage.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?