Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    What Daikin is doing makes a lot of sense from the business standpoint, "Trane exiting its franchise model" make absolutely no sense to me, why would they voluntarily relinquish their market share? whats to gain?
    Trane isn't purposely doing that. But what happens if a Franchise doesn't want to sell? That's were DA has been stepping in. If it goes south for Trane, a new Trane Corporate branch will be opened across the street. Such as people on this very site can attest to. I'll tell you what we have to lose - a Union presence. How many of those Corporate Trane branches opened up in the 2010's are Union?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    I dont think we are going to lose union presence with this new deal, maybe we are not gaining any, yet... if we could only get the organizer away from his desk and computer.....what a dream
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Iil
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Trane isn't purposely doing that. But what happens if a Franchise doesn't want to sell? That's were DA has been stepping in. If it goes south for Trane, a new Trane Corporate branch will be opened across the street. Such as people on this very site can attest to. I'll tell you what we have to lose - a Union presence. How many of those Corporate Trane branches opened up in the 2010's are Union?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Anything further on this?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    My 2 cents and some clarification on mis-information. The way the Trane franchise agreements were done, in general, was that once the owner retired or passed away the franchise goes to Trane. Those that resisted got a new Trane corporate office opened across the street. Those that went through and gave up had their staff slashed by 60% - 80%. Neither was a good situation and it happened over and over.

The majority of franchises changed names years ago (10 ish?). Harrrison didn't operate as Harrison Trane but Harrison Energy Partners. Gardiner Trane was simple Gardiner. Dayton Trane is Wiabel Energy (and also BuildingLogix I believe). Some kept Trane in the name to this day (Tampa Bay Trane?) But most saw the writing on the wall years ago and started preparing for their futures.

And thats were we are now. The franchises know if something happens to their owners they will be dismantled and/or run out of business so they are finally being pro-active and trying to find a alternative before one is forced upon them. All of them started diversifying their portfolios around 10 some years ago. Most sell and install Jace/Tridium instead of or in addition to the Trane BAS product. Most sell and install other AHUs, unitary, VRF, pretty much everything. I know most franchises service everyone's equipment and I'm sure that will continue.

Personally I'd be amazed if there are more then a handful of franchises left in a few years. Trane/IR really seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. They have put the franchises into a corner and seem surprised that they're actually fighting back. Good for them. I do feel bad for the remaining franchises though, now that Gardiner and Harrison left I'm sure Trane corporate is assuming the others will and is being proactive themselves. I would expect some Trane offices to be popping up in other Franchise territories along with cancellation letters. Trane/IR has lots of money for lawyers, I'm sure many franchises don't.

Post Likes
    Something is happening at our office. Don't know what yet. Rumor is corporate is buying us out very soon but we are trying to negotiate business as usual and minimal cuts. That's just what I hear.
    Everything is hush hush. This is making a lot of people nervous. There's a lot of us with families to take care of. I get their side that if it gets let out, there may be a mass Exodus. It doesn't help us though, the ones who bring a good portion of the money in.

Post Likes
    Good luck, Benny. I hope things work out well for you. I suspect they will.

8. Likes BennyD, HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Good luck, Benny. I hope things work out well for you. I suspect they will.
    Thank you! Gerster has been wonderful to work for. Other than office politics (which you'll find anywhere) I have no issues with the company. They've treated me very well for over 10 years.
    Stability for my family is the only issue. Vacation, benefits, pay and change in how things will be running all worry me. I'm not worried about losing my job, more of an am I going to be able to take it, watching many co-workers get let go. Do I want to be a part of it?
    I did have a job offer recently, which I'm weighing heavily. It seems like a good gig, lateral move initially with a good chance of service supervisor in 6 months. Staying commercial, though not much chiller work at the moment. That is why they want to bring me in.
    Argh, DECISIONS!

10. Likes Nuclrchiller, HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vseven View Post
    Gardiner Trane was simple Gardiner.
    They were using "Gardiner Service" for the past few years I believe.

Trane/IR really seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. They have put the franchises into a corner and seem surprised that they're actually fighting back. Good for them.
    I had an interesting visit at my supply house from the new Trane regional that was in charge of opening the new Cleveland branch. He said he was checking out the area, I felt a little bad for him because he didn't seem to have a clue how difficult the market is here. (My last count was 14 different HVACR wholesalers in Greater Cleveland)

He didn't really want to talk about Gardiner except to say it was their choice to leave Trane and he didn't have long to set up. Honestly, I don't even know where they opened it up.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Statements made by me are strictly my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. I am not authorized to make any official statements on behalf of my employer.
    Any technical advice offered by me is for educational purposes only, all HVAC related repairs should only be attempted by qualified personnel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    I can tell you your mileage will vary from Trane office to Trane office. I worked for Trane in Miami, and moved (for personal reasons) to Trane Chicago. I am much much happier at Trane Chicago. For once in my 26 year career, I am treated as a valued irreplaceable member of a great organization. I never felt that way in Miami, and they actually didn't care if you felt that way.

Each office, while corporate owned, is still run at a local level, and the cultures and attitudes are different. I've worked for small residential contractor, a large mechanical contractor and Carrier, and I can tell you I'll never leave Trane. I'm here for the duration of my career. The support and education I get from the factory is outstanding. Tech support is just a phone call away. I have every piece of Trane literature on my company laptop. And here in Chicago, I have basically unlimited overtime. We're so busy I'm doing routine inspections on Saturdays. I have 280 hours of backlogged work that I'm still trying to catch up on, and I'm still doing new chiller startups, warranty work, and service calls.
    Has Hunzeker Trane gone independent? I heard it this week. Some of you may have heard of Midwest Parts which is/was Hunzeker's Parts side. I heard the new Central Illinois Trane is under Chicago Trane. Can anyone verify?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Hunzeker Trane is factory now, Midwest parts is done for Trane parts. They still have some stuff in stock but they were looking at York.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acjourneyman View Post
    Hunzeker Trane is factory now, Midwest parts is done for Trane parts. They still have some stuff in stock but they were looking at York.
    So Hunzeker was bought out by Trane? I heard they went independent. What is true?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    So Hunzeker was bought out by Trane? I heard they went independent. What is true?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    Hunzeker was not bought by Trane. What I've heard from people close to the family is that Trane made a "lowball offer" which they tried to negotiate up. After months of haggling, the family agreed to Trane's original offer and asked for a contract. Trane then pulled the offer off the table and said they weren't interested anymore (they'd been planning a startup corporate office while negotiating).

The ownership at both Gardiner and Harrison knew this had happened when they made their deals with Daikin.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast