Homeowner with questions

Here's the set up

1980 carrier furnace with horizontal Carrier 10 seer Evap coil.(maybe as low as 7-8)
    New Payne 13 seer Condenser installed last year under home owners warranty.
    Hvac contractor did not suggest replacement of coil at the time and I have a leak now due to me bumping the line during water heater install.

Leak on the Lo pressure inlet to the coil,3/4 copper factory connection directly before entering /exiting the coil unit.

Can this connection be repaired

New contractor is a great guy and he said it is just to risky trying to braze it directly at the box and the fitting is possibly bad...is there another method?

Can the line be removed cut off at say 12" outside of the coil box and a new factory end be brazed on to allow re-install.

I am aware that the efficiency is compromised at this time ....(just found out)
    I am in the middle of contacting the original Home Warranty contractor to understand why he didn't make the change last year, even if it was to be out of pocket on my end. And if I have any re-course with the home warranty company....my wife is looking for a fight....lol

The new contractor gave me a price quote for a new matching 13 seer evap. coil.

What can I do to be informed and assured a proper sale / installation?

I am really disappointed that it's hind sight that's 20-20...Help me make the right decision before I get taken!

TY kindly for any advice / thoughts...

CP
    Last edited by Cphill58; 06-11-2008 at 03:50 PM.

I would go ahead and put the proper coil in to get the efficiency out of it..

Yes I agree with that ...but my main question is what should I know to make sure I am getting the correct unit / best brand / best qauality install.....

Is there a preffered unit / coil built over the others
    Kinda like a fiat to my Ford dually

I mean I am just a stupid flooring installer. But if you asked me for the best material and differences I could write a book.

CP

I payne outdoor was already installed it would be best to match the system with a payne indoor if at all possible

Thanks ...maybe a model # if possible?

CP

The indoor coil is matched to the outdoor unit. So the contractor will have to know what the model number is of the outdoor unit. He can use a Payne, Bryant, or Carrier coil, they are all the same.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That's good info ...ty again all

Note , the orginal contractor just left ...he said the older coil could be repaired and I am only losing a few points of energy conservation.

X amount for the repair ....2x that for the new coil ...due to the fact coils are now taller and the furnace will remain the same.

Re work some ducting/evacuate/recharge etc.

We all know that money is tight in this slow economy ...and I am undecided as to what is best. I can afford the cash for the repair, but not the replacement. I would like to use my visa but this contractor does not accept credit.

Repair or replace the coil ....pros and cons are appreciated

CP

understand your pain. decreased efficiency will only cost you more down the road. also get a couple quotes.

Just a thank you ....

Forgot about this thread with all the things in life going on ....my e mail did not prompt any more responses.....So I thought I would just say thanks to all who replied.....

Daing it's hot in So Cal these days ....107-108 inland empire....Glad my new evap coil is working....

Thx

Cphill