Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New System-new Lineset?

I know this question has been asked earlier but I think it depends on the specifics. Changing over five year old unit because it is oversized. I was told that we could re-use the old line set because its the same size. T he new system is a carrier that I think uses Puron. My installer told me copper is very high right now and we should re-use the lineset. Do you agree?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    We install hundreds of replacement Puron systems a year,we only change the lineset if it's the wrong size,leaks,or the customer went to some DYI website and insits we change it.

if you are concerned you can have the installer flush the lineset before putting in the new system. most of the linesets here are in the wall so its usually not an option. no problems with clean linesets new or old.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

If you are going from r22 to r410 it might give more of a reason to switch.

They told me they would make sure the line set had no leaks before they use them. How do they check them for leaks?

Kirk

They charge them with nitrogen and make sure they hold the pressure.

Or they evacuate to less then 500 microns and see that it holds.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    We install hundreds of replacement Puron systems a year,we only change the lineset if it's the wrong size,leaks,or the customer went to some DYI website and insits we change it.
    Do you purge the lines with nitrogen or just reuse as they were?

The linesets will be flushed with the appropriate products when the installation is done. If it is sized properly, no leaks and is flushed there is no problem reusing the old lineset.

I'm sure the installing company would have no problem replaceing the lineset for you, with an additional charge of course.

We've replaced a system and reused the old lineset numerous times when switching over to a Puron system with no issues as of yet. I went to a CEU class and the trainer told me what we are doing is approved by the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Do you purge the lines with nitrogen or just reuse as they were?
    Yes ,nitro "purge" to blow out any trapped oil.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Ahem, that would be me. Although, you'll see from my post over at Help! that I should have insisted on a line change BEFORE the guy crimped the new 7/8 line onto the old 3/4 one! I assume from your post that your install always include a lineset change when it's the wrong size?

The current cost has no bearing on weather you should change out the line set or not.
    If its the wrong size, it should be changed out.
    A smaller line set can lower your capacity and efficiency. The specs of the individual unit needs to be checked, not guessed at.
    However. A 3/4" 15' line set generally will not drop your capacity or efficiency even though the unit comes with a 7/8" service valve. At 50' it will though. Some manufacturers make this information available to home owners, some do not.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by kkmcewen View Post
    I know this question has been asked earlier but I think it depends on the specifics. Changing over five year old unit because it is oversized. I was told that we could re-use the old line set because its the same size. T he new system is a carrier that I think uses Puron. My installer told me copper is very high right now and we should re-use the lineset. Do you agree?
    No. unless the lineset is impossible to replace. I WOULD RECOMMEND REPLACING LINE SET. Due to the old unit probable ran alkybenzene for a lubricant which is uncompatible with polyester oil. at the very least the lines would have to be flushed. Which I only do as a last result. The flush kits are very costly. Need to weigh the cost of the flush against the cost of the new lineset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast