Thread: Oil Consumption

Oil Consumption

I live in Northeast Ohio. I use between 400-450 gallons of oil per heating season.

Mine is a hydronic system and my neighbor has a forced air system. He claims that he utilizes twice as much as me and his home is alot newer.

Is this normal?

Not uncommon.
    His ducts could be in unconditioned space and drawing in unconditioned air. He could also have leaks in his supply, allowing conditioned air to be blown into areas he doesn't want, or need to heat.

He may also keep his place a lot warmer. Have less solar gain during the day. More window area.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Not uncommon.
    His ducts could be in unconditioned space and drawing in unconditioned air. He could also have leaks in his supply, allowing conditioned air to be blown into areas he doesn't want, or need to heat.

He may also keep his place a lot warmer. Have less solar gain during the day. More window area.
    I understand what you are saying. It just seemed strange to me. I keep my system at 73 and he claims to have his set at 71. My house was built in the 60's and his was built in the 90's. So, I assumed that he would have better insulation.

It, be that doesn't mean it does.

A lot of things can cause a jump in heating bills from one house to the next.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?