Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks everyone for the information. This will help me to ask better questions. Now I just have to wait about a month because the company I called is backlogged four weeks. Good news for them, bad news for me.

I could get you the return sizes in the basement, I know it changes sizes (small to bigger) a few times, but I have no idea what is in the walls.

I also guess one thing I could try is to close all the duct dampers to the whole house except maybe two of the rooms that are on the far end of the house to see how much more airflow I can feel. Granted, I don't have a device to measure airflow coming out of those supply vents, but I could see if the air flow increases.

This is just really frustrating (especially if I have to buy a whole new compressor to size it correctly). If that is the case though, what options do I have? I can't go back to the builder, so can I just add a second compressor to the system to piggy back on the first?

If the compressor is not undersized, couldn't I just add a new blower that has larger capacity or could this cause issues? Such as what?

I'm just looking for ideas. I do know that the air temp on the supply vents close to the furnace are quite cold, so I would think the size is right. I think I understand the duct (supply and return) size theory (too small on the return and it may starve the system). If it was air starved though (and the blower is the right size) I would think the return vents would be really noisy and suck paper to them quite easily. When I place a piece a paper on my returns now, it just falls off. I can feel air moving by my hand when I place it near it though.

Small returns don't always make noise like you would think.
    A good contractor will be able to determine what the problems are, and determine what the right corrections are.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkdude View Post
    3400 sq ft house.. Lots of windows, and im sure there is more heat loads that we can type in. So 12,000 btu's = 1100 sqft? something does not sound right. correct meif i wrong.
    What is the infiltration rate? That means more then sq ft.
    What direction does the festration face?
    Sq ft of ceiling below unconditioned space. is it 1600, or 1800, or wht ever.
    sq ft of flor above unconditioned space?
    How much shade does the house have?

There have been several post on this board of 2200 to 2400 sq ft houses with 2 ton systems. that maintain much lower temps.

Instead of sizing by sq ft alone, and charging by beer can cold. let the company that is coming out determine what is wrong.
    Contractor locator map

Infiltration rate... no idea
    Festration... what the heck is that?
    Sq feet of basement (unconditioned space): 1363
    Sq feet of 1st floor: 1363
    How much shade: none

Those are all the things that the company coming out should be checking, so they can determine correct size.

There is so much more then just total sq ft involved in correct sizing. That R.O.T doesn't work.

In my area, houses of your sq ft size can have anywhee from 4 to 7 tons of A/C.
    So no way to know how much your house needs by sq ft alone.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    What direction does the festration face?

My geek beeper goes off when someone says fenestration instead of window .
    Ed J

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Janowiak View Post
    My geek beeper goes off when someone says fenestration instead of window .
    LOL... I'm half way guilty as charged.

A true geek, would spell it correctly.
    Contractor locator map

perry,

See if you can get a copy of the load calc from the builder.

Quick question.... I was talking with my neighbor across the street. He has exactly the same house as me (no cooling problem). One thing he brought up was a difference with his house and mine that I never thought of. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'll toss it out.

In the basement of my house, the furnace is on the far south side of the basement (width of the house is south to north.... and the front and back of the house are east and west respectively). My South side of the house is always very cool, and we have adjusted dampers because of this but the north still stays warm.

With my neighbors house, his furnace is in the center of the basement, which places it near the center of the house. So supply lines are more evenly distributed with about equal duct work going to his two ends.

Could this be part of the problem? I would think it would be ideal to place the furnace as close to the center of the house as possible so the the lines could be more balanced. If that is the case, is there anything that can be done short of relocating the entire furnace?

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    perry,

See if you can get a copy of the load calc from the builder.
    Already asked him for it and he says he no longer has it for my house.

Will static pressure tell me anything? My neighbor said he has a manometer (sp?) and we can find the static pressure for my unit. What will it tell me? Does it really matter?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by perrybucsdad View Post
    Quick question.... I was talking with my neighbor across the street. He has exactly the same house as me (no cooling problem). One thing he brought up was a difference with his house and mine that I never thought of. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'll toss it out.

In the basement of my house, the furnace is on the far south side of the basement (width of the house is south to north.... and the front and back of the house are east and west respectively). My South side of the house is always very cool, and we have adjusted dampers because of this but the north still stays warm.

With my neighbors house, his furnace is in the center of the basement, which places it near the center of the house. So supply lines are more evenly distributed with about equal duct work going to his two ends.

Could this be part of the problem? I would think it would be ideal to place the furnace as close to the center of the house as possible so the the lines could be more balanced. If that is the case, is there anything that can be done short of relocating the entire furnace?
    Longer duct trunks and branchs,more turns and fittings,the ducts need to be larger to deliver the same cfms(air flow).

Static pressure can tell you if the ducts are sized correctly or not,for required cfms thru the indoor unit.

Thanks Dash.... I'll make sure someone does a static pressure test then. Does every contractor do them? From looking at this site it looks like some do and some don't. From what you said it would indicate to me that this would tell the contractor if the ductwork is adequate or not. Maybe that is an oversimplified explanation, but that's what I am getting from your post.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast