Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    You may have a 16 by 25 plenum. But more likely the duct is not the same size.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I know you are supposed to use the right calcs. to determine your size system. BUT, There is also a rule of thumb for sizing systems. Out here in CA its 400 sq ft = 1ton . I think on another post they said out in your area its around 600 sq ft =1ton. well either way it seems your undersized. also,loads....windows,lighting,etc.
    Sink or Swim!
    A Man has to know his limitations..
    To be old and wise, one must be young and dumb..

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You may have a 16 by 25 plenum. But more likely the duct is not the same size.
    Okay... I will have to measure it when I get home then. I was thinking they were the same. I assume I would want to measure it before it takes the 90 degree turn towards the furnace? To be honest though, I believe it is the same size before the bend and after which would mean it is the same as the plenum. If that is the case, is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkdude View Post
    I know you are supposed to use the right calcs. to determine your size system. BUT, There is also a rule of thumb for sizing systems. Out here in CA its 400 sq ft = 1ton . I think on another post they said out in your area its around 600 sq ft =1ton. well either way it seems your undersized. also,loads....windows,lighting,etc.
    So if that is the case what do I do with my two year old compressor? Scrap it and buy a whole new one? If so, the installer and builder may get hurt because I brought this up with them when my house was still under warranty and they insisted that it was the right size.

That rule of thumb is worthless.

Around here they like to use 500 and 600 sq ft to the ton.
    And it over sizes most houses.

An accurate load calc, and proper use of Manul S (if you don't have extended performance specs for your brand ) would be the right way to size.
    Contractor locator map

Okay.. so maybe I am undersized and maybe I'm not. I will have to get a contractor out to find out.

But answer this question if I may ask. Since my return vent's have 1008 square inches and my supply is about half that, shouldn't the supply vents be really producing a lot of airflow in the room (almost to the point that they may be obnoxious)?

No comment..
    Sink or Swim!

Thats just teh size of the register. The size and length of the duct thats hooked to it also has to be taken into condiferation.
    Contractor locator map

There are a million things that could bewrong with your set up. Best thing to do is have them run a new calc. double check the sizing. Then i would have them do a good thorough check on it from head to toe. check all ducts,s/a,r/a,fan etc.
    If everything checks out good, then ask them why your hot! You need an explanation.
    Sink or Swim!

The whole problem in this case could be the duct system is undersized.
    Or maybe its a half or a whole ton undersized.
    But using your "out side of your area rule of thumb" they would be putting in 6 tons.

A 2600 sq ft rancher may need a larger A/C then a 3200 sq ft 2 story. But your rule of thumb would over size the 2 story.
    Contractor locator map

Sounds Great im gonna sit back and listen.
    Sink or Swim!

3400 sq ft house.. Lots of windows, and im sure there is more heat loads that we can type in. So 12,000 btu's = 1100 sqft? something does not sound right. correct meif i wrong.
    Sink or Swim!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast